Towing GW Adventure 208 with Ford Explorer?

NHAngler

Reaction score
Looking for any 208 owners that tow with an Explorer or similar sized SUV. I have an 05 with V8 and tow package. Tow rating is up to 7200#. Pulling the trigger soon on a used 208 I hope to not have to upgrade the tow vehicle yet. Most places are going to be within 50 miles from me.

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You'll have no problem. I tow mine with a Z71 Suburban with a 327 cu in and you will know it is there on those long hills but it will make it.

seasick

Reaction score
My vehicle has a 5000 pound rating and I tow my 208 with no problem but I don't tow very far and the terrain is flat

Walkers Edge

Reaction score
I tow mine heavy (hardtop, full fuel, a weeks worth of gear) with an 05' Tacoma v6 4x4, it handles the weight better than my full size ram did. Mileage is somewhere between bad and even worse, but I have seen 13-14mpg @ 65mph.

4x4 is not a necessity but a welcome attribute on a steep, slimy, wet ramp.

SnoweyTiger

Reaction score
I tow a 205 Tournament with an 05 Xterra and the 245 horse V6 has no problems running up and down the interstate. Gas mileage runs 12-14 mpg, but otherwise no complaints. Have your new to you rig balanced correctly on the trailer with the correct tongue weight and your explorer will take you anywhere you need to go.

cwdusmc

Reaction score
Best thing to do is take the boat (loaded) to the scales and have it weighted, then you will know exactly what you are hauling.
Bare weight is around 3000lb w/o engine. You can add 400-500 lb for fuel, 500lb for an engine, lots of weight for all the extras you throw in the boat, and of course the weight of the trailer (800lb or more depending on the type). Don't forget that tow weights are reduced by passengers and cargo in the vehicle. You could easily be in the 6000 lb range or more so if your Explorer is equipped with the 3.73 axle ratio, you are getting close to the limits.
Check your owners manual or Ford's website at
https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/2005/2005_escape.pdf
A lot of people tow more than recommended and don't even realize they are doing it. Whether that is safe or not is a personal decision.
Stay safe,
Craig