Towing Sailfish 272 with a D-max

SBLGFD

Reaction score
Looks like I might be getting a 96 Sailfish 272 on a triaxle trailer -wondering if anyone is pulling this hull with a D-Max. I have a 07 4X4, classic crew. Thoughts?

Thanks

Chris

gw204

Reaction score
You won't have any problems. I tow a '93 252 Sailfish (it's only 200 lbs. less) with an '03 HEMI Ram 2500. She's surprisingly easy to pull.

TBone

Reaction score
Yup, no problem!

Ive used my brothers 07' duramax/allison 2500 chev, amazingly smooth!

I have a 1994 sailfish on a boatmaster triple axle, basically the same as a 1997 272, oh ya theres a pic below.

Be Sure to have functioning brakes on the trailer! you can pull with any thing, but you got 6500+ lbs pushig ya! It can toss ya un braked.

BirthdayChristmas2007037-copy-copy.jpg

freddy063

Reaction score
I agree pulling it is the easy part. Stoping it is the hard part. I have a 1994 with a towmaster 3 x trailer, pull with a 3/4 dodge.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I agree with the others, it'll pull fine..
I personally would appreciate a MPG report when you start towing, plus, anyone else with a diesel truck towing a Grady.
I hear all these people saying they get 12-14 pulling big trailers.

My son has a Duramax..I have a Cummins Dodge.
I pull 232 Gulfstream..tandem..Total weight 10,100 lbs.

Both trucks get the same mileage at 65-70MPH

Maybe I should've started a new thread, but this sorta ties in with the topic.

GulfGrady

Reaction score
I have a 273 CC with a triple axle that I pull with an 06 2500HD 4x4 crewcab with a DMax and an Alli tranny. Yes you know it's back there and yes you better have at least 2 axles of brakes. Weights alot more than 6500 lbs. though. Best MPG I have ever had pulling it is about 9

Kenlahr

Reaction score
When I pulled my gulfstream with my 02' 2500 (6-speed manual Cummings) I NEVER got less than 14 MPG (65-70mph). I am now pulling a 282 with a bigger trailer and so far I have not got less than 12 (60-65). I would be shocked if I started getting 8 or 9...

SBLGFD

Reaction score
Well we are going to see it this weekend. We are pretty sure that if we do decide to purchase it that it will stay where it is until things warm up around here, no point bringing it here to sub zero temps. When we do start towing I will post my mileage. On a side note I dont think my mileage is all that great now at 14+- . My plan for this trip is to check it with my GPS for a accurate reading - 1000 mile trip should get a solid reading.

SBLGFD

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I would've figured it was a truck issue, but BOTH the Cummins and the Duramax gets 8-9.
If I run 50-60, I'll get 10-11 if there's no significant headwind.

Hey KenLahr,
Did you have a hardtop on your Gulfstream? We think it might be causing an aerodynamic problem for us...

The trucks run Fab....plenty of juice..but we aren't getting the mileage out of our Diesels that everyone else is...Towing, anyway.
Nontowing is 16-17...

SBLGFD...Be sure and let us know your stats too....Good luck on your 1st trip...

Tunaboyyy

Reaction score
This is an awesome Thread. I was about to ask the same question. I currently have an 07 classic Dmax bone stock. The computer says I get 16 to 17mpg with the factory donut tires.

Great pics all thanks.

Kenlahr

Reaction score
Magicalbill: Yes, the Gulfstream had a hard top and a single yamaha 225. I am going by what the onboard computer reads out. I have no reason to think its wrong, or I would have run out of gas a few times. My Dodge is a Ram 2500 with a 6-speed manual transmission and of course it has the HO Cummings Diesel. When not towing I get 20 to 21 MPG as long as I run her around 65 mph. When I run at 70 to 75 it drops to 19 mpg. I hauled my daughters car (small saturn) on a flatbed from Maryland to Colorado and it read and average MPG of 18.

okletsfish

Reaction score
No doubt that you will get better over all milage with a diesel,but the added power is what most folks are lookin for when towing.If I keep the rpms around 2000 not towing on a road trip I get around 23mpg and the math is done with pencil and paper.I have never really checked it while towing because I concider it pointless,but A guess might be around 14 mpg.My truck is an 04 duramax/allison completely stock and as of right now I just turned 17K milage wise so it isn`t even broke in yet.

gw204

Reaction score
magicalbill said:
I agree with the others, it'll pull fine..
My son has a Duramax..I have a Cummins Dodge.
I pull 232 Gulfstream..tandem..Total weight 10,100 lbs.

Both trucks get the same mileage at 65-70MPH

Something ain't right. I get better than that towing my Sailfish (10,000 lbs) with my gas 2500 Dodge.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
8 MPG? Something isn't right, unless you're going over mountains.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
That's what we thought..There was something amiss with the Duramax.

My son Jason owns the Duramax..he pulls a CC Donzi, twins, Canopy-top weighs 7500 or so with twin 150's.
He gets 8-9.

I get my 232 Gulfstream, need a truck to pull it, get my Dodge with the new 6.7 Cummins,
It gets THE SAME MILEAGE.
We took both the rigs to Marathon from Indiana, and every time we fueled, the total gallons were within 2-3 of each other. Sometimes, within 1.

I find it highly unlikely that two brand-new trucks would have the same mileage problem, especially when they are different makes.

I assure you we're not flooring them uphill, or driving them hard. As I said, I can slow down to 55-60 and get it to 10, maybe 11 but that's it. I suppose I could go 45-50 and get to 12MPG, but that's ridiculous.

GulfGrady

Reaction score
magicalbill said:
That's what we thought..There was something amiss with the Duramax.

My son Jason owns the Duramax..he pulls a CC Donzi, twins, Canopy-top weighs 7500 or so with twin 150's.
He gets 8-9.

I get my 232 Gulfstream, need a truck to pull it, get my Dodge with the new 6.7 Cummins,
It gets THE SAME MILEAGE.
We took both the rigs to Marathon from Indiana, and every time we fueled, the total gallons were within 2-3 of each other. Sometimes, within 1.

I find it highly unlikely that two brand-new trucks would have the same mileage problem, especially when they are different makes.

I assure you we're not flooring them uphill, or driving them hard. As I said, I can slow down to 55-60 and get it to 10, maybe 11 but that's it. I suppose I could go 45-50 and get to 12MPG, but that's ridiculous.
This sounds exactly like my 06 DMax

Kenlahr

Reaction score
Driving to work this morning I was thinking that the rear end is also going to play a big role. I forget the ratio but I have the "highway" read end package. At 70 mph I am turning about 1850 rpm in 6th gear not towing. One of my fishing buds has a ford with a low gear rear end and he can't even drive at 70 mph because he's well over 2k rpm. At 60-65 he is burning gas at the rate I would be burning at 70. Many times it was a PIA because the dodge would pull the gulfstream easily at 69 mph and I got great gas millage, but when traveling together I had to slow WAY down.
The Sailfish will equalize that now though.
-
By the way, I have seen no advantage of having such a low gear ratio in the rear end for MY towing needs. 1st gear on the 6-speed manual is a granny gear anyway.