Towing Saillfish / Trophy Pro252

Skiffler

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a Grady Trophy Pro that I keep in Maryland a little south of Annapolis. I want to trailer the boat to hit some offshore locations OC Virginia Beach and possibly Hatteras. The boat is 9.5 wide which I am comfortable pulling across the bay bridge but the tunnels around Norfolk concern me. So a few questions

1. Do you all get the permit for the wide load.
2. Going across the bay bridge to you get in the far right lane with the semis.
3. Have you pulled the boat through the tunnels aroun Norfolk / Hampton Roads
4. What's the best route to get to Hatteras from Maryland.

Many thanks in advance.

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I trailer from southern MD but so far have only gone to Virginia Beach. I'm 9'7" on the beam (does require a permit to be legal) but found my height (13'6" at the radar) to be the bigger concern. I'd recommend avoiding the 64 bridge tunnel into/out of Hampton Roads, it's narrow and low. The Monitor-Merrimac tunnel on 664 is wider and taller as well as having the advantage of far less traffic to deal with going both directions. Good luck.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I would get the permit. If anything happens you will have legal and insurance problems without it.

askibum02

Reaction score
When I pulled my Trophy Pro from Glen Burnie to Fayetteville, NC I got permits all the way down and put on Wide Load banners. Locally it's not an issue, but on the Interstate, or Bay Bridge for that matter, better be safe than sorry. MD Transit Police can be class one jerks.