Towing The Seafarer 228 With Chev Tahoe

bigfishon

Reaction score
I am interested in purchasing a Seafarer 228 with a hardtop and need some advice on towing this boat with my Chevrolet Tahoe (5.3 liter V8 engine). Does anyone have this same set up and if so, how well does it tow? I believe with a 250 HP 4 stroke with fuel, gear, hard top, kicker, trailer, boat etc. total towing weight runs around 6,500 pounds. My Tahoe is rated at 8,000 pounds. Comments from anyone having experience with this setup is very much appreciated. Thank you.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I towed that boat with that exact vehicle....if your Tahoe has the towing package and 3.42 gears it will do just fine.

My 223 doesn't weigh much less and I'm towing currently with both a 5.3 Tahoe and 6.2 Denali. I pulled it from DE to GA with the 5.3. Averaged around 8 mpg running 65-70.

Joe

Reaction score
My '11 Silverado has the same set up towing the same boat (no kicker though). I don't know what the rear end gear ratio is on my truck, but it's not high (numerically), and I have 4wd, which reduces towing capability by about 300 pounds. I towed it about 70 miles home and several times to the landing and back and it does fine--but it drinks the gas.

qdiver

Reaction score
I had a 96 Yukon 4x4 w towing package. That had the 350 mpi w 250HP I believe your 5.3 has more HP I never had any problems towing my Seafarer 228 w 200 Yam. and I have towed it long distances. I now went to a Sierra 2500 only because I wanted a truck but you should have no problems with your Tahoe.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
FYI, the higher the rear end ratio, the higher the towing capacity. If your 8K is based on your existing rear end ratio, that'll be more than enough. 3.73 is the "normal" ratio. 4.10 and 3.42 (or 3.43 - forget which one) would usually be an option. If you have the factory towing package, I would suspect you have at least the 3.73 or maybe the 4.10. I've towed with older versions of the Yukon/Sub/Trucks (5.7L & 454) and plenty with the newer versions (5.3L), too. You'll be fine.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
3.08 gears have been standard through the last body style. 3.42 were part of the towing package last time around as well as in the new body. It's been awhile since 3.73 or 4.10 gears were available in a Tahoe or Yukon. You can thank the EPA for that.

moorehaven

Reaction score
I tow my 24 ft Offshore with 2010 Chev. Silverado with a 5.3 L and 3.42 gears without an issue . The pulling is not a problem but make sure of the brakes on the trailer . Well maintained disc brakes on the trailer are the way to go .

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Parthery said:
3.08 gears have been standard through the last body style. 3.42 were part of the towing package last time around as well as in the new body. It's been awhile since 3.73 or 4.10 gears were available in a Tahoe or Yukon. You can thank the EPA for that.

Wow, didn't realize they went down to the 3.08 as standard. Thanks for the clarification. I suppose by adding more gears (tranny) and changing the fuel mapping they can offset the lower rear end. "EPA"... yeah - that's pretty much a "4 letter word" anymore. There's certainly some good things - but some of these new laws seem to written by people who live in a little bubble and think all people should drive Prius' (which really aren't that "green"). And as far as owning something as silly and unpractical as a boat.........

Big Fish: You can check to see exactly what gear ratio you have (and you equivalent towing capacity) by looking at the codes that are printed on the sticker inside your glove box. Given the info from Parthery (which I wasn't aware of) some may not be even be an option, but these are the GM gear ratios that have been used (and still in use) in many of their vehicles:
GT4: 3.73
GT5: 4.10
GU4: 3.08
GU5: 3.23
GU6: 3.42

The most recent Tahoe I've used to tow with was a 2008 (although I'm not sure what gear ratio it has - but in light of the info Parthery provided, it was probably 3.42). I pulled a 6,500Ib boat and it handled it very well. My "regular" trailer boat is about 10,000lbs, but that's with my '98 3/4 ton Sub (diesel). However, I regularly pull boats anywhere from 2,000lbs to about 15,000lbs. Either way, the Tahoe is a good tow vehicle for that boat.

Good point above about maintaining your trailer's brakes. It would be best if you had brakes on both axles - in some states it's a requirement for your size rig.

bigfishon

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for all your comments on towing with a Chevy Tahoe. I checked the build sheet for my vehicle and have more info: My Tahoe was manufactured in 2012 with the 5.3 liter engine. It has a 3.08 rear axle (GU4), locking rear differential, with a GVW rating of 7,300 pounds, Z82 trailering equipment, ZW7 premium ride suspension and a weight distribution platform hitch. My Tahoe weights 3,314 pounds.

Does any of the above info cause anyone to change their opinion on my Tahoe's ability to tow the Seafarer 228?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Check the codes in the glovebox - for whatever reason, I've always found those to be more accurate. The original build sheet for my current Suburban listed two axle ratios. The code in the glovebox is accurate as I've physically measured it. Your Tahoe weighs much more than what you listed - probably somewhere in the 5,500lb range. If you happen to see a code "G80" in the glovebox, that would indicate the Eaton locking rear diff - it's a very solid, simple system that works extremely well.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Z82 is the RPO code for the trailer hitch and 7 way wiring connection on the back.

K5L is the RPO code for the "Heavy Duty Trailering Equipment Package" which includes the 3.42 gears and the oil cooler. It also includes the 2-speed transfer case on 4WD models.

Big Fish On - based on the codes in your glovebox....your truck does not have the "Heavy Duty Towing Package"....

bigfishon

Reaction score
Hello DennisG01
I just checked the glove box codes as you suggested. It shows "Code GU4" with the 3.08 rear axle. It also shows code "G80". Glad to receive your comments regarding the Eaton locking rear differential. Nothing in the glove box "Service Parts Identification" plate regarding vehicle weight. Hopefully, I am ok with towing the Seafarer 228 with my Tahoe setup.

IBeGrady'd

Reaction score
DennisG01 said:
"EPA"... yeah - that's pretty much a "4 letter word" anymore. There's certainly some good things - but some of these new laws seem to written by people who live in a little bubble and think all people should drive Prius' (which really aren't that "green"). And as far as owning something as silly and unpractical as a boat.........

Don't get me started. The EPA should be on the endangered regulator list and its extinction couldn't come too soon. :x

bigfishon

Reaction score
Hello Parthery
Thank you for your info regarding RPO Code Z82 (shown on glove box plate) and RPO Code K5L (not shown on glove box plate). So I guess the key question is using a 3.08 rear axle and without the oil cooler (no heavy duty towing package) am I still ok... Probably no clear answer to this one. Many years ago (in the 1970's), I had a mechanic change out the rear axle gears on a vehicle to a different ratio. Wasn't too expensive to do this back then. But that was a long time ago and things may be a lot more complicated now too. Not sure how expensive it would be to have this done for my Tahoe. But would be a shame to go this route if not absolutely needed. I generally would be towing maybe 75 miles 1-2 times a year with a few hills but typically over relatively flat terrain if this makes a difference... Most of my towing is 10 miles or less.

zimm

Reaction score
There's no way your truck weighs 3,314 pounds.

You should tow just fine. I pulled my 226 with a v8 4runner (rated for 7,300 lbs), my wife's Diesel VW touareg (rated 7,700 lbs), but I sold the 4runner for a Ford F250 and that "gets 'er done" even better.

bigfishon

Reaction score
Hello Zimm
The build sheet I obtained with the vehicle shows the weight at 3,314 pounds which I understand is way off. I believe the published curb weight for my Tahoe is at 5,567 pounds. Thanks for your comments about towing your 226 with a V8 4Runer and diesel Touraeg.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Your truck weight will be listed on the sticker inside the door jamb on the driver's side.

When you cycle through the information in your DIC (display below the gauges), do you have a "trans temp"? If you do, that's great because you can keep an eye on it. 3.08 is a little short, but you might be fine depending on how you tow, the conditions, elevations, hills and how much weight you also put in the truck. You really won't know till you try it. If needed, run with overdrive disengaged (still use tow/haul mode) and keep the RPM's around 3,000 and the converter locked. Your engine will be more efficient at that speed and the tranny will be cooler with it locked.

Sure, changing gears can still be done - but remember that you also have to do the front (4X4), too (or pull the front drive shaft). You could always add a tranny cooler - should be less $$ than changing gears and would be highly recommended since you're approaching the upper range of your tow limit.

gw204

Reaction score
I pulled a 25' Sailfish with my '02 Suburban a few times. 5.3, 4L60E and 3.73s. It didn't like it, but it did it. You'll be fine.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I once pulled my old 22 Seafarer from Pine Island Sound to Tampa with an old Chevy van with a 4.3 L V6. You can tow almost anything with almost anything in Florida where there are no hills. My brother used to pull his old 22' Renken down in Miami with a Ford Pinto (wouldn't advise this). Any V8 will pull a Seafarer just fine as long as it's flat. Out west you would need a V10 or a diesel.

bigfishon

Reaction score
Thank you Dennis for your additional information. The DIC does have "trans temp" shown as I scroll through the options. Looking at the drivers side door jam shows the following weight: GVWR 7,300 lbs, GAWR FRT 3,600 lbs, GAWR RR 4,100 lbs.

I understand operating the tow/haul mode. But not sure how to run with overdrive disengaged? Also, how do you run with the converter locked?