towing with vinyl enclosure installed

hudsonpools

Reaction score
Just purchased a grady white sailfish and tow boat all the time.i would like some feedback if it is a good idea to tow boat 60+ miles per hour with enclosure installed.It is not easy to take on and off.Dont want to damage.thanks.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
:uhm I think 60 mph would destroy the stuff, probably sooner than later. It's a pretty healthy speed brake ...

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
We simply roll them up. Can you not do this? I have trailered mine down for short trips. If they are buttoned up and tight I have observed highway speeds do not bother the front curtains at all. Now bugs are another story they get coated at times.

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
At 60 MPH the wind resistance will be very high. If, and I mean IF, the canvas holds together the extra wind resistance will kill the fuel economy of the tow of the tow vehicle. You may even damage the tow cars transmission with the extra strain. :hmm

hudsonpools

Reaction score
thanks.I would not leave it on long tows like to the florida keys.but im thinking more short pulls like to cedar key or daytona about 30-60 min.

Pez Vela

Reaction score
hudsonpools said:
i would like some feedback if it is a good idea to tow boat 60+ miles per hour with enclosure installed.

Seriously? The way I read your question, what you're really asking is, "At what towing speed will my boat's vinyl enclosures tear loose and rip apart?" I don't know, but to find out, I am anxiously awaiting your next post with video, entitled, "Hey, watch this!"

hudsonpools

Reaction score
seriously get a life if you have nothing but negative post. :-|

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Something else to remember, if your vehicle is doing 60 mph, your enclosure is bucking that plus whatever headwind component there may be ... :wink:

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I have left my enclosure on my 265 for short trips around town(never seeing highway speed or long distances) without a problem. I figured the enclosure sees 40mph speed on the water, why not over land. I worried more about road debris. My old boat was a center console with a three sided enclosure, that I towed with at up to 60mph without a problem. Never for a long trip though.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
For a short down the street tow, leave them up for for a highway tow you're asking for trouble. My front curtains hold up at 50MPH but they aren't happy doing it. Even if the curtains hold up to the force, they're going to get peppered with road debris. Take the curtains off and put them down below for the tow.

It's a decent load to tow at that speed, be careful.