Trading down to Gulfstream from Sailfish 272

mrzeeno13

Reaction score
For a number of reasons, I'm thinking of selling my '97 Sailfish 272 with twin Yamaha 2 strokes in favor of a Gulfstream. The 232 of the same vintage or newer is somewhat rare, but there are a few for sale within a reasonable distance from where we live in mid South Jersey. I have read some reports claiming the Gulfstream is too wide for the length, is difficult to handle in following seas and tough to maneuver in tight quarters. As a lifelong Grady owner, I find it hard to believe ANY boat from this manufacturer would be so problematic. But if I do make this switch, I would be unlikely to opt for a big single; most say the boat performs best with a pair of 150-200 hp engines. I would appreciate some first person information from Gulfstream owners and others who are knowledgeable on this subject.
Thanks

REEL NAUTI

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2000 Gulfstream a couple years ago. I would love to do a even trade with you but I can't go bigger than 26 where I keep my boat. Anyways I came from a Parker CC Deep-Vee a true offshore fishing boat. The Grady has a smoother more relaxed ride. I picked up my Grady in Conn. and drove it to Greenport without a problem. Even though it was a nice day...blowing around 10-15, the L.I. Sound was producing 3-4's coming from all different directions. The Gulfstream handled them great. Trimmed correctly and running at the proper speed the conditions allow the Gulfstream performs great

As for maneuvering, I have twin 200 Ficht's and can turn 360 degrees on a dime. I once waited a fuel dock for 10 mins watching this guy trying to dock....wife was running from one end of the boat to the other, screaming at her grab that rope! Not that one! Watch the front! Grab the dock!.... After they were done I alone pulled bow in, worked the throttles and spun her perfect alongside the dock much like Ace Ventura. And she screams... You see that Tony!!!! That’s how you dock a boat!!

Anyways if you decide on a Gulfstream the twin set-up is much better for those tight spots. And getting on plane is much faster and lower rpms @ cruise. My Grady tops out around 49-51 mph depending on conditions.

When I was looking for my gulfstream I was also looking at Islanders and one salesman was trying to sell me the sailfish after i kept telling him it’s too big for where I'm docked. I told him I would prefer a Gulfstream...He said that boat is CRAP! Worse design ever. Too wide for the length. If that were true I doubt Grady White would keep making the same hull design for almost 20 years. The beam makes the cockpit very large and fishable. More so or equal to that of the 272 Sailfish and while a drift and trolling, very stable.

Hope this helps.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i had an '02 with twin f200's. i would suggest twins because it is a very heavy boat and close quarter maneuvering is straight forward with the twins. also recommend you get a SeaV2 hulll; not sure when it changed.

i felt it handled all types of seas that i would go out in (as long as you know what you're doing). if you intend on driving 50 mph in 4-5's this is not the boat for you. the beam results in a very stable platform at drift and on troll. as noted, this is one of GW's hottest models, even if it is too wide for it's length :mrgreen:. the guy probably didn't have one to sell you, so in that case; it's crap. ever hear an auto sales rep compare their brand to others?

the cockpit is huge and the ability to fish from the bow is a nice option. other than cabin amenities, i don't think you are going to miss much on the "step down".

good luck, ron

River Rat

Reaction score
M&M Boat Sales in Middle River, MD has a Gulftream for sale. Not sure what year, but I do recall that it has twin 115hp.

Finatic

Reaction score
I run a 2000 Gulfstream with twin Yamaha 150 4 strokes. I typically fish the boat offshore out of Ocean City, MD and can honestly say the boat handles more than I can. It is a great handling boat with a huge cockpit. The cockpit on my boat feels nearly as large as my friends 282 Sailfish. The boat doesn't roll much on the troll or drift and can handle the deep or back bays equally well. I would definitely opt for twins as I think the boat would be underpowered with a single and handling may be an issue. Good luck.

mrzeeno13

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. Good advice as always.
First challenge is find the right boat! We definitely want twins and if the budget can be stretched enough, we'd like to have four strokes, for all the obvious reasons.

RJTFD

Reaction score
Mrzeeno
Good luck with your search all I can say is I hope I beat you to it!!
Just kidding I had a 2000 with twin 150's and lost it to Sandy. I am looking for another one but they aren't easy to come by with the right setup and the year I want. I am trying to stay pre 06 simply because of a few changes they made (smaller access to fish box ,and transom seems way too far to reach around motors) . I used to take mine offshore 70+ on the right days and never once felt uncomfortable being out there. Boat handled great in tight quarters and was great to get on plane. I have heard complaints about the ones with singles maybe that is the reason those are the ones listed for sale? My choices are another one with twins 2005 or if I could find a 265 I would go that route also a wide beam with a few more amenities.
Good Luck

Another plus was I would burn 1.7-1.9mpg depending on conditions.