Tragic story here on the website

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Hey yall:
I read the story posted here of the young man near Clearwater Fla who was killed trying to assist a boat off of a sandbar. The story is tragic. It is a reminder for all of us to be alert to what is going on around the boat, especially the stern.

The story is here I suspect because the young man was killed by helping a grady white. What really bothers me about the story is how the media pointed out the price of the boat. Would this senseless death be any less tragic had the boat been Bayliner? The price of the boat had nothing to do with the accident. The accident was because of reckless behavior and not because the kid was in daddy's expensive boat.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the link. It is a very sad story for sure. The other part of the story that struck me quite odd, is the owner of the Grady never once asked his son what happened on the water that day? What the H E double hockey sticks kind crappy parent is that? Your kid just killed somebody and you didn't ask about it? Ever? My heart goes out to the surviving parents.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
First of all, a tragic story and certainly one that shows justice has not been served.

While I am usually rather sensitive to mentions of GW and cost, I find no offense here.

The reporter is trying to paint a picture of a father who is prominent, rich, important in the community, etc - and how that influenced the prosecutor and let the son get away with manslaughter, BUI, etc, etc.

I think the comments would have been the same if the "vehicle" involved had been a $60K Mercedes.

JMHO.

Brian

timberxx

Reaction score
Thats a sad story.

My dad and I saw a young family in a brand new bowrider, with an I/O stuck on a sand bar in the Long Island Sound. The wife was pushing as the husband was putting the hammer down. We went over and mentioned that wasn't a good idea. That could have ended the same way.

We would have pulled them off the bar, but at the time we had an Alumacraft that would not be up for the task.

Other than moving passengers and gear, any suggestions for getting a grady off a bar before you need to call Seatow?

3rd Day

Reaction score
timberxx, not being a smart alec, and to provide an answer to your question, it's called paying attention to tide and water conditions so one does not have to call for a tow/push. In my line of work it's called situational awareness. Yes, this is truly a sad story and I feel pain for the family and friends of the young man trying to help. I think all of us have helped another boater at one time, it's what we do for the love of the ride. Good fishing and keep safe.

Seadog

Reaction score
timberxx said:
Thats a sad story.

My dad and I saw a young family in a brand new bowrider, with an I/O stuck on a sand bar in the Long Island Sound. The wife was pushing as the husband was putting the hammer down. We went over and mentioned that wasn't a good idea. That could have ended the same way.

We would have pulled them off the bar, but at the time we had an Alumacraft that would not be up for the task.

Other than moving passengers and gear, any suggestions for getting a grady off a bar before you need to call Seatow?

Timberexx, I commend you actions. It takes a brave person to approach a stranger and address an unsafe situation. I guess one of the most important things is in how you communicate your concerns.

Many people these days just have a look, mutter something under their breath and proceed on - We choose to look the other way. Your actions would have reduced the potential of something happening. Good for you..