trailer and tow vehicle for 272 sailfish

JB IN OC

Reaction score
I have a 1500 gmc crew cab 5.3 gvrw 8300#, average tow for 45-60 miles to get the boat from milford to oc is 500.00 I would really put this into a trailer for pre and post season pulls. the boat will probably be dry docked at sunset until I can get some paint on the bottom and then will be in a slip. My question to all of you is what you pull with and if any 1/2 ton chevys is it ok with the pull and stopping .I have read other post from the past and will be keeping the boat as light as possible and Iwill be getting a trailer with good brakes, also bunk or rollers for this boat. many thanks to you guys.

SBLGFD

Reaction score
I pull the same boat with a Chev 2550 HD with the Duramax without much issue, but I dont think I would want anything lighter. As a FYI I did upgraded my hitch as the OEM hitch from Chevy was not much.

SBLGFD

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 1500 Suburban with the 4.10 rear and tow twice a year for a few miles on flat roads. I wouldn't do it any more or further than that, it's a lot of weight for a 1/2 ton truck.

JB IN OC

Reaction score
well I decided to do the boatel for the rest of the season which will give me time to get a slip,trailer,bottom paint,and maybe a beater truck to haul it to the dock

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Probably a wise choice. Your boat is at 6800 with engines. Add trailer weight, gear, water and fuel, and you got quite a load on the back with a 9'6" beam. Plus you gotta check the tongue weight to make sure it's within limits, which it probably isn't. And brakes are a BIG issue. It doesn't take much for a tragedy to happen even on a short tow job.

DB

Reaction score
Just sail it down from Milford to O.C. Boats travel better in water than on dry land :-|