Trailer Axles - leaf spring vs. torsion bar

ppaspa

Reaction score
I'm going to go ahead and order a trailer for my '02 282 and wondered if there's any advantage or disadvantage between leaf spring or torsion bar axles I should consider. Trailer will see mostly saltwater use. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks

catch22

Reaction score
Torsion bar, without a doubt. Smoother ride, softer on bumps, which means less stress on the boat and and less wear and tear on trailer parts... and no squeeking.

Another important feature, (imo) is removeable, (bolt on) spindles. If a bearing goes, and tears up a spindle, it's a lot easier and cheaper to replace just the spindle, instead of an entire axle.

Also - Disc brakes, much better and less likely to rust and freeze up. I believe Kodiak is the prefered brand.

Coupler/Actuator - I like the type you use a "lock-out" pin on, (for backing up). Tie Down Engineering is one brand. I think it's better to have a mechanical type lock-out than the solonoid, which connects to your back-up lights. They're troublesome. Even if the trailer has the solonoid set up, as long as you have the lock-out pin, or some type of mechanical lock-out, you can just leave the wire disconnected, and back up slowly, (without pin in). When your doing any serious backing up, (up hill, or repeated forward and backing up), put the pin in. The pin is also used as a secondary lock for the ball, to prevent accidental un-coupling, during normal driving. Don't know about other brands, but I think "Tie Down's" is limited to 7000# capacity.

LED lights are nice too. Should outlast regular bulb lights 5 to 1, as long as the wiring was done properly.

G8RDave

Reaction score
I think Catch22 pretty much nailed it. I really like my torsion trailer compared to the leaf spring trailer I had previously.

bigk23surf

Reaction score
Torsion all the way! You will not believe the difference in ride. Also the boat sits lower on it so you don't have to put the trailer as far in the water to get it off.

Brad1

Reaction score
Another advantage to torsion that I did not already see mentioned is that torsion suspension allows the trailer to sit lower than leaf springs. This has two benefits. 1) Lower center of gravity. 2) You don't have to back the trailer in as far for launching and loading.

seasick

Reaction score
Brad1 said:
Another advantage to torsion that I did not already see mentioned is that torsion suspension allows the trailer to sit lower than leaf springs. This has two benefits. 1) Lower center of gravity. 2) You don't have to back the trailer in as far for launching and loading.
Although I have a leaf spring trailer, if a torsion model kept the boat lower, I would have problems. I use my trailer for winter storage and when I set the trailer with some front up angle to insure that the bilge drains, the skeg of the motor hits the ground when the motor is all the way down ( again for storgage). There are two solutions, block up the trailer to raise it or as I do since my storage yard is gravel surface, dig out under the motor to gain some clearance. It's only about 2 or 3 inches but if the surface were cement, I would have to jack up the trailer.

choogenboom

Reaction score
Add my vote for torsion. In addition to other benefits mentioned above, leaf springs rust out realtively fast. I have not heard of similar issues with Torsion.

Stay far away from EZ Loader - I got one in 2007 and it already looks 5 years old. Brakes locked up several times, the drums and axles are a block of rust, all the bolts are rusting, hydraulic line fittings are rusting. Thing is a nightmare. Emailed Ezloader to complain and got 0 response. And this is a galvanized steel trailer that I wash down after use and spray with Boe Shield, been in and out of salt water maybe 10 times.

My neighbor has two 5 year old aluminum Magic Tilts that looks like they are a year old. Drums are galvanized, no visible rust or corrosion.

G8RDave

Reaction score
Seasick, do you have to trim your motor all the way down for storage? Seems like trimming it up a few inches wouldn't hurt anything.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
I've had both and my comment on torsion axles on multi axle trailers is you better make sure the trailer is as level as possible when towing. Otherwise you will burn out bearings on the loaded axle(s). If you launch or tow on steep or uneven terrain I prefer leaf springs. They flex a lot more to keep all the axles on the pavement all the time. I would also suggest electric over hydraulic brakes which would eliminate all your problems in reverse as well as give you braking ability when backing down steep ramps. Just my comments from 21 years of owning boats that live on their trailers. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Brad1

Reaction score
G8RDave said:
Seasick, do you have to trim your motor all the way down for storage? Seems like trimming it up a few inches wouldn't hurt anything.

Don't want it tilted up if you live in a freezing climate. Water can accumulate in the lower unit and cause freeze damage.

ppaspa

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your informed replies. I appreciate your input very much. I think I'm going to go with the torsion bar setup.
Paul

seasick

Reaction score
G8RDave said:
Although I could leave it trimmed up a bit and it would still drain, I don't like to have the tilt pistons ram rods exposed for the winter. I give them a light wipe with grease and retract them all the way in. If I weren't able to dig out a little under the skeg, I would have to jack up the trailer a few inches either under the tires or block up the frame.

jehines3

Reaction score
Go electric over hydraulic for the brakes and add a brake controller in the truck. My marlin trailer has a DICO 12k surge coupler which I'd love to switch over to electric just to give better control.