Trailer brakes

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I know it's a lot to ask, but don't hype up or lie when trying to sell something. "The trailer was just serviced" he said! Or maybe his idea of being "serviced" is pumping grease into the axles. 3 of the 4 brakes had NO inner pad. The one remaining inside pad and all the outside ones were just a backing plate!

Well at least I know what I've got now.20230521_134342.jpg20230521_133549.jpg20230601_201405.jpg

seasick

Reaction score
Did you look at the trailer before buying it? Did you ask what was recently serviced?
Let the buyer beware.

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I looked at it as much as I could.

As I mentioned in the 1st post, he said the trailer was just serviced. I didn't ask, he just told me that.

I take full responsibility for not being as thorough looking at the trailer after he said that. I also guess I shouldn't be surprised, considering how little he maintained the rest of the boat.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Damn... that's pretty gnarly looking, and we don't even get a ton of rust up here in the PNW with regards to trailers, brakes, vehicles and so forth. Looks like those babies haven't been swapped out in 5-10 years at a minimum. Glad to hear you made it safely where you needed to go when buying the boat and that you didn't have any safety issues. A properly setup trailer can make all the difference between a life or death scenario when trying to stop.

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Damn... that's pretty gnarly looking, and we don't even get a ton of rust up here in the PNW with regards to trailers, brakes, vehicles and so forth. Looks like those babies haven't been swapped out in 5-10 years at a minimum. Glad to hear you made it safely where you needed to go when buying the boat and that you didn't have any safety issues. A properly setup trailer can make all the difference between a life or death scenario when trying to stop.
He lived like 4 blocks from the marina, so I'm sure it was drop the boat in the spring, park the trailer till the fall when he picks up the boat. Probably never washed down the brakes after splashing the trailer twice a year.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
How about the brake controller???? The rest of the trailer Suspension/axle sleeve seemed pretty rusted as well, how was the frame or is it aluminum?
Buyers beware is good advice.
H

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
How about the brake controller???? The rest of the trailer Suspension/axle sleeve seemed pretty rusted as well, how was the frame or is it aluminum?
Buyers beware is good advice.
H
It's an aluminum trailer. The surge brake coupler seems in good shape, though it's on the list to switch to EOH in the near future.

Got the brakes bleed this weekend and took it for a good test drive, all seems to be working well.

Reactions: Meanwhile

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
my trailer that was "serviced and road worthy" when i bought it had an empty actuator, empty lines, water in one caliper, and two empty calipers.

after a couple hours of work, she stops beautifully now

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
my trailer that was "serviced and road worthy" when i bought it had an empty actuator, empty lines, water in one caliper, and two empty calipers.

after a couple hours of work, she stops beautifully now
Yep, sounds like mine.