Trailer for ‘01 282 Sailfish

SouthFork

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I’m looking for a trailer for my 282 Sailfish with twin i4 F200’s and was wondering what everyone has. I have a 9000k Float On from my last boat but I’m not sure it is sufficient. I do plan to put 250’s on it at some point. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
What's your "wet" weight for the boat/motors/batteries/gas/water/gear/etc?

Is the 9K lbs the carrying capacity or the GVWR?

Is the 9K trailer long enough?

SouthFork

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
What's your "wet" weight for the boat/motors/batteries/gas/water/gear/etc?

Is the 9K lbs the carrying capacity or the GVWR?

Is the 9K trailer long enough?
It’s carrying weight is 9k and the trailer fits up to a 32’ boat. It was built for a 28’ Everglades. I could carry it empty of fuel, water and gear but I’d like to not have to worry about that. It’s fine for hurricane haul outs in a pinch I think but I’d like to take it to the Keys.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It may very well be long enough - but the boat size, itself, is not the indicator of what will fit/not fit on it. Bow eye to transom is the key. Grady's have bow keel that closer to straight down - this means it's be to t length is longer, in comparison, to the boat length.

Either way, if the carrying capacity isn't there, as you noted... then it's a moot point. How much more CC do you need? You could contact the trailer manufacturer - see if upgrading the wheels would be enough... maybe axles. All depends on whether or not the frame is of sufficient size. Otherwise, you're looking at a new trailer.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Obviously not exactly an apples to apples comparison... but a brand new Grady White 285 Freedom has an "as tested" weight of over 9,300 lbs, which is I'm thinking going to be pretty similar to your 282 Sailfish weight, especially when you're moderately or fully loaded down. I'd honestly get a bigger trailer that has a higher weight capacity.