Trailer for 1997 GW Sailfish 272

Reming870

Reaction score
I need to find a trailer for a 1997 272 Sailfish. This doesn't have the extended hull.

Does anyone know the length of trailer needed for this? Should I just go by the length to the drain port and let the rest overhang the trailer? There must be another 2 ft of boat and then the motor widths.

Thoughts?

Reming870

Reaction score
It really doesn't matter to me type and if used. If I had my ideal world it would be a bunk. I am more concerned about length of the trailer as the hull ends long before the end of the boat.

Do I look for a trailer that's 28 ft or 25 ft and let it overhang.

Weight is the next issue as I have calculated the boat at 8,700 lbs without gear. This almost a eliminates any stock tandem units unless I could find 6000 lb axles. I would prefer a good safety factor.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
870, I recently purchased a trailer for a 96 232 from the trailer outlet in Tilton NH. I was originally looking for a good used trailer but everything on the market was questionable or very expensive. This guy put me into a trailer for about 1200 bucks less than the best price I could find anywhere. All he sells is trailers. He has a 25 Grady that he hauls long distance so he knows what is needed and what isn't. He will give you a quote over the phone or by email. Its sort of nice to start with new brakes and bearings rather than somebody else's problems. He comes highly recommended by guys on the Hull Truth. The snowmobile guys love him too.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Having an extra 3' of bunks sticking out the back does absolutely nothing if there's no part of the boat sitting on it. The main measurement you want to know will be drain plug (which is typically as far aft as any part of the hull bottom that will sit on bunks) to bow eye. You can then adjust the axles to get your tongue weight to within the proper range for the rig, which will likely be a little bit further back than a boat with less rear "overhang". But any decent, worth their salt, trailer retailer will know this and will be able to help you. Whenever possible, try to buy as local as possible... both to keep your money local by supporting local businesses and also to make it easier if you have any issues.

Reming870

Reaction score
I do not have access easily to the boat right now. Does anyone know the dimension from the drain to bow eye for the 1997 non extended hull? Or the dimension of how much hull was added in the newer years?

Reming870

Reaction score
Harpoon said:
870, I recently purchased a trailer for a 96 232 from the trailer outlet in Tilton NH. I was originally looking for a good used trailer but everything on the market was questionable or very expensive. This guy put me into a trailer for about 1200 bucks less than the best price I could find anywhere. All he sells is trailers. He has a 25 Grady that he hauls long distance so he knows what is needed and what isn't. He will give you a quote over the phone or by email. Its sort of nice to start with new brakes and bearings rather than somebody else's problems. He comes highly recommended by guys on the Hull Truth. The snowmobile guys love him too.

What brand did you end up buying? Do you have any problems?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Just to be clear, as re-reading through my post I may not have been, the general idea is to measure from drain plug to bow eye. BUT, if your particular hull has an extended portion that CAN CONTACT the bunks, then those should of course be taken into account to get full support. With your line of questioning, it seems as though you are well aware of this - but I didn't want to cause any confusion.

If you can't find the dimensions in your owner's manual, and no one happens to be right next to their boat to measure, then a call to Grady, I'm sure, can provide the information you're seeking.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I bought a Vantage aluminum I beam bunk trailer. No problems at all. The owner, Joe has great knowledge and can set you up with the right equipment.

Good luck

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Don't forget the pulpit sticking out forward of the bow eye. Need to stay clear of the vehicle especially taller SUV or van.

Grouper Duper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just curious how you got to 8700 lbs.? Our boat has the same (though extended) hull, and weighs 5,908 on aircraft scales. This was full gear, but low fuel. Granted, the cabin will weigh significantly more than our console and T-top, but it can't be that much.