Trailer for 2013 GW 208 - Any recommedations?

Scarlet Knight

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Took delivering in 2013, but did not buy a trailer, Now considering . Any suggestions on trailer mfg, type for this size GW, options one would need and whether to go with roller or bunks? Will use for distance travel and mainly a spring launch with a Fall pullout and winter storage on trailer vs. a weekly in and out scenario. Some saltwater so considering galz alum.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Roller vs bunk is somewhat a personal preference. Neither one is better/worse for your hull since it's pretty much a standard hull (no steps). The only time that a roller is absolutely prefered is if you're loading/unloading in very shallow water on a regular basis and need to physically push it off and pull it on with no engine help. The boat will sit a little lower on the trailer with a bunk, which is good for trailering, but that's not to say that a roller is bad.

A bunk will generally support the hull better, but a good roller setup will be just fine - especially with a solidly built boat. A roller will be more money initially and more maintenance down the road.

Galv vs Alum is another personal choice. Both are durable, the alum is obviously lighter and is "prettier".

The best recommendation I can give is to buy local. If there is a problem, you want someone local working for you, as opposed to someone you've only met via a phone call. Stop by a few local trailer dealers and see what they have to offer.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Another thing to add to Dennis's thoughts..

Don't let a dealer sell you an under equipped trailer. Overbuild it, especially if your using it for distance travel, as you mentioned.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re: Trailer for 2013 GW 208 - Any recommedationsv

My 208 sat on a 6000 GVW tandem aluminum trailer. It was the perfect size...overbuilt but not too much.

Local brands to you will be Venture (lower end) and Load Rite (higher grade).

BCLII

Reaction score
My 205 sits on a Wesco 6500 lb tandem aluminum trailer. Two years old and very pleased with it.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Tidewater is another brand that has been very good for us (I work part time in the industry). They're from Maryland, but your local trailer dealer probably carries them. Personally, I like them better than LR. I think LR "used" to be the big boy on the block, but that was years and years ago. We actually stopped carrying LR due to poor fitment issues with 18'-25' boats.

ric2352

Reaction score
Very happy with the Platinum 6000lb. aluminum trailer under my 208. Much lighter than the galvanized equivalent , tows great, very adjustable.....get the stainless hardware option. They have a website...check it out.