trailer for 265 express

lariatjoe

Reaction score
Thinking of trailering my boat. since it did not come with one. I'm not sure which trailer would be the the best match for my 265 express. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks Joe

Enough Already

Reaction score
You may get many opinions on which trailer manufacturer is best but I like Loadmaster. Key for you will be to size it correctly for maximum weight you might trailer - must include boat, hardtop, motors, fuel, water and all the other junk that seems to collect on board. Spec sheets don't always take into consideration everything (ex: hardtop). I haven't purchased yet but if/when I do, it will be a triple axle. Its a big/wide boat, so don't cut corners on trailer capacity and tow vehicle capability.

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
When I bought my 265 this spring it had never been on a trailer and truthfully I wouldn't want to keep it on one, it's a handful to launch and recover by yourself which is what I'd be doing. However, the previous owner had planned to tow the boat from Maryland and do a trip offshore out of Florida and had ordered a 2011 Venture Vantage custom aluminum I-beam bunk trailer which I got brand new in the deal. Triple axle with disc brakes on all three axles, hydraulic surge type. Weighs in at about 1800 pounds. Really nice trailer and it handles the boat quite well. Will probably upgrade to the Kodiak brakes at some point in the future but for the local hauls I do now what's on there works fine.

Agree completely with Enough Already, I would not want this boat on a double axle, one tire goes and the rest could go very quickly, personal preference obviously but for long hauls down the interstate I'm much more comfortable with having three axles. That said, I'm still putting a tire minder system on it before I start making those long-distance trips.

I would also say, my opinion only and not looking to spark a huge debate here, but I'd want a minimum of a 3/4 ton diesel to move this rig comfortably. I tow it now with my 1500 Suburban (5.3L gas and all the tow package extras) and that's okay for the ten minute haul home from the marina on the local county roads but I've also hauled it with a friend's diesel and the difference is night and day, ride, acceleration, braking, everything. I will not take this on the interstate until I've upgraded my truck or can borrow someone else's, I just don't think it'd be safe or smart.

Good luck with the search and enjoy the boat, I'm loving every minute I get on mine.

Brett

Enough Already

Reaction score
Here is some additional info from an email echange in 2009 with East Coast Trailers.

Subject: Trailer for 2001 Grady White 265 Express
Date: Monday, August 24, 2009, 7:35 AM
Mike,

The 265 Express has a max weight of ~8500# (based on Grady Whites published weights). This will exceed the capacity of the large tandem and would require the HD tandem or a tri-axle.

We can only have the trailers built in compliance with state braking laws. In FL you will require brakes on all wheels. Loadmaster offers the Kodiak SS or Silver Cad plated disc brakes. For more information on the warranty and corrosion resistant properties of the Kodiak disc brakes please see www.kodiaktrailer.com

Loadmaster Standard Features:
Aluminum I-beam construction
Torsion axles
Posi-Lube hubs/spindles
V-shaped axles and cross-members
PVC over aluminum guide poles
HD 2-speed winch (includes poly bow stop roller)
Radial tires
LED Tail Lights

10,500# GVWR tri-axle (~9000# capacity) = 3 x 3500# axles, 14” wheels/tires, 10” brakes
11,200# GVWR tandem axle (~9500# capacity) = 2 x 6000# axles, 16” wheels/tires, 13” brakes
12,500# GVWR tri-axle (~11,000# capacity) = 3 x 5200# axles, 15” wheels/tire, 12” brakes

$3348 Loadmaster 26-28 10,500# GVWR Tri-Axle (~9000# capacity)
Brake Options:
$2159 Kodiak 10” SS Disc Brakes (all wheels) (6 yr warranty)
or
$1202 Kodiak 10” Silver Cad Plated Disc Brakes (all wheels) (3 yr warranty)
Recommended Options
$210 SS Hardware
$120 Front Center Bunks w/HD 2” x 2” Stems
$115 Spare Wheel/Tire 14” 5-Lug Radial
$105 Side Mount for Spare w/Spindle, Hub & Packed Bearings

$3882 Loadmaster 26-28 11,200# GVWR Tandem Axle (~9500# capacity)
Brake Options:
$2311 Kodiak 13” SS Disc Brakes (all wheels) (6 yr warranty)
or
$1392 Kodiak 13” Silver Cad Plated Disc Brakes (all wheels) (3 yr warranty)
Recommended Options:
$210 SS Hardware
$220 Spare Wheel/Tire 16” 8-Lug Radial
$125 Side Mount for Spare w/Spindle, Hub & Packed Bearings

$4384 Loadmaster 26-28 12,500# GVWR Tri-Axle (~11,000# capacity)
Brake Options:
$2362 Kodiak 12” SS Disc Brakes (all wheels) (6 yr warranty)
or
$1656 Kodiak 12” Silver Cad Plated Disc Brakes (all wheels) (3 yr warranty)
Recommended Options:
$210 SS Hardware
$145 Spare Wheel/Tire 15” 6-Lug Radial
$115 Side Mount for Spare w/Spindle, Hub & Packed Bearings

We can usually get the trailers built in 1 week or less. We can arrange delivery to South FL for ~$125 or you can pick the trailer up directly at the factory. Delivery typically requires a facility with a fork lift if the trailers are stacked.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks,
Steve

East Coast Trailers
"Designed and Built for your Boat"
Phone: 407.718.0066
Fax: 407.260.1005
e-mail: eastcoasttrailers@cfl.rr.com

Salinity Now

Reaction score
I bought my 2001 in Jan this year, got a new Venture tri axle for it too, 10,600# carrying capacity, spring axles, triple brakes, extended bunks, guides and centering bunks, I normally dont trailer far, the lot to ramp for me is less than 1/2 mile, but I wanted the ability to travel if need be, this summer I put about 2000miles on it from VA to GA, SC, NC on various trips, trailer did great for me (truck didnt like it at 7mpg....2500HD 6.0gas) but it never scared me or put me in a bind.

I weighed the boat when I got it on the new trailer, less than 1/2 fuel, no gear.....weighed in at 10,200#s on the trailer, shes a big girl.

Id prefer a diesel ofcourse, but after this summers experience from towing, Im just gonna stay local and enjoy a paid for truck!!

Its a big boat, but with a decent truck and some proper planning its easy to handle.

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have my 282 on a Venture Alum Bunk trailer trip axle 10625# and it hauls the boat great. I do use an F350 with diesel and it is a breeze. Trip home with her recently was 100 plus miles from the Cape and no issue. Had to move it once so far with the Expedition not too much fun. Luckily it was a very short trip couple miles from a buddies shop. Swore next time I will not be lazy and go get the F350 for the job. It sure makes a difference when you use the right tool for a job.

lariatjoe

Reaction score
I will be towing with a 08 yukon denali xl w/ a 6.2. I called all american trailers in pompano. I told the guy about my boat, and he said a double axle w/brakes on all wheels towing capacity 1000#. all aluminum, led lights. and all stainless hardware. for around 5 grand out the door. I will be towing most times around 20 miles round trip. w/ an occasional trip to the keys, 200 miles round trip or so. do you think dual axle will be sufficient? I figure I will be at around 8-9k#.

Jody

Reaction score
Living in the NE we have toll roads everywhere I would go with a tandem and up the axles to give me a 20% cushion. Also trailer tires are not all made equal. I have 10 trailers and I put nothing but the highest ply tires I can order for the size. They wear much better and blow outs have become almost nonexistent. Between the work and race trailers I put 25k a year on them.

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
lariatjoe said:
Thinking of trailering my boat. since it did not come with one. I'm not sure which trailer would be the the best match for my 265 express. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks Joe
Call Grady White CS, you can tell them what year, and model and they will give you the max weight of the boat, the specs on the trailer and then you can decide on what trailer you want. They emailed me a sheet that had my boat specs.

TUNAHUNTER197

Reaction score
I trailer my 265 up and down California. An hour tow to fish anywhere in Norther California and a few 8 hr tows down and back to San Diego. When I bought the boat I had Sea Tech Trailers in Miami build a new trailer for me. It's a tandem axle 10,400lb capacity trailer. She's big and burly on the road but once you get used to her it's not a problem at all. I just put on Goodyear Endurance tires (10 ply, E rated) and boy they are stout and haven't had any issues with them the past 2k miles. Trailer maintenance is just as important as boat maintenance now, trailers broken, can't fish.

Used to pull her with a F250 V10 gasser and bought a 16' 3/4 ton Cummins two years ago and it's night and day towing her around with the diesel. Nothing compares to the torque of a diesel and it's actually nice to accelerate up hills with the boat attached, the V10 had troubles with the hills!

I paid a little over $5k for my trailer....aluminum, torsion axles, brakes, LED lights. I had to do some minor bunk adjustments when the boat made it across country but very pleased with the purchase process with Sea Tech. Shoot me a PM if you want any further information.

SeaVee

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2001 265 and had a trailer built for it. It is a Venture tandem model VATB- 8725, disc brakes on all four wheels, LED lights, etc. Dealer suggested triple axle and I get it, but I have some tight quarters to park my trailer next to my house and tandems work better for me. She is a big girl on the trailer and quite tall . Tow it with a 2500 Suburban ( 8.1) and it does fine. Paid a little over 5k including set up and adjustment. Very happy so far.

bac0701

Reaction score
I had a roller load rite elite i bought used but ended up selling to go with bunks (for a few reasons)..shortly after this spring i found a good deal on a LT Loadmaster (ohio company) out in NY that a guy had for sale. It was fit for a tuq boat, but it has multiple bunks to adjust. I must say this is the nicest trailer I've seen and I'm sure if you read about them online you will agree. every nut bolt and u bolt is stainless, electric over hydraulic, 2 speed winch, extendable tongue, stainless brakes and calipers, lighting all over. its a dual axle 10k capacity from what i remember. Ill get some pics tomorrow for you. I just put it on the first time and need to adjust most of the bunks and clean up my hull.

bac0701

Reaction score
I still need to do some adjustments but to have an idea

Attachments

• 79B15C3D-7B16-425E-8482-79EF34C34137.jpeg
    79B15C3D-7B16-425E-8482-79EF34C34137.jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 251