Trailer for Freedom 255

Ed Bukala

Reaction score
Hi There
For the past two seasons I have kept my Freedom 255 in a Marina and am considering purchasing a trailer for next season. I would plan on using the trailer to travel to different lakes and fishing destinations as well as storage between uses and during the winter. My range of travel would likely be 150-250 miles at a time typically, with and occasional 500-600 mile trip. I would appreciate any real world feedback and suggestions on makes and models that fellows are using for their trailering. My boat has the hard top so I figure 4500 lbs for the boat, 500 for hard top, 600 engine (300 hp 4.2L) 900 when full fuel, 70 full water = 6,570 minimum, so adding for miscellaneous, rods, canvas, gear etc. I will add 430 extra to make it an even 7,000 pounds (maybe a bit overkill) . Any suggestions from your experience on type, makes and models would be greatly appreciated. When I had my 185 I had an Easy-Loader bunk trailer with her and it seemed to work really well.
Thanks
Bukster

DaleH

Reaction score
Uhhhh ... your total towing load also has to add the weight of the trailer itself, which could be another 1500-pounds to your list. Don't also forget to add for all of the typical gear your boat carries. It adds up! To add to that, no one who trailers regularly has found ANY brand or type of trailer brake to last more than 1 season. All the sharpies I know, some who trailer triple-axle large CCs, use huge Powerstroke pickups. Their stopping power is the tow vehicle!

Here's an assessment I once did for the towed weight for one of my other boats ...

Item - Pounds (* means actually weighed or weight taken directly from Mfgr's specs)
Anchor, Chain, & Rode, Backup (180') - 30
* Anchor, Chain, & Rode, Main (500') - 80
* Batteries, 2 Group 24 @ 45# - 90
Boat Hook - 4
Cables & Wiring - 40
* Cleaning Supplies, Brushes, Mops, Juices, & Rags - 10
* Cooler, 124 quart empty - 20
Ditch Bag & Safety Gear - 16
Electronics (Radar, VHFs, GPS) - 25
Engine Controls and Cables - 26
* Fenders, 4 @ 1.5 = 6
* Fire Extinguishers, 3 @ 3 = 9
* First Aid Kit - 2
Fishing Gaffs & Net - 5
* Fishing, Handtools (pliers, scales, lippers) - 17
Fishing, Misc Tackle - 25
Fishing, Rods - 60
* Fishing, Tackle Locker and Goodies - 40
Fishing Weights - 5
* Flashlights, searchlights, & misc manuals - 14
* Freshwater Tank plus 9 gals water @ 8# = 80
* Fuel Tank, 126 gals x 6.2 - 781
* Galley, Sink, Stove, & Cabinets - 100
* Galley, Supplies - 10
* Hull, Dry Weight - 3500
Hydraulic Steering Helms & Cables - 45
Instruments - 5
* Life Preservers, Type 1 (5) @ 1:12 - 9
* Life Preservers, Type 1, 8 @ 13 oz - 7
* Lines, Spare (dock, towing, misc) - 20
* Oil Tank & 2 gallons oil - 15
* Outboard Motor, 225hp 25" V6 Johnson - 460
* Outrigger Bases & Poles - 60
Personal Gear - 200
Porta-Potti - 12
Prop, Main (Stainless Steel) - 12
Prop, Spare (Aluminum) - 7
* Pulpit, Wood - 25
Pumps & Hoses - 30
* Radar Dome - 8
Rocket Launcher - 6
* Steering Wheels, (2), 13" & 15" SS Destroyer - 12
* Swim Platform - Teak Wood & SS Supports - 120
* Toe Rails, Wood - 10
* Tools - 10

SUB-TOTAL = 6068 pounds AFLOAT without crew

Trailer = 1400 pounds

TOTAL when TOWED = ~7500 pounds

Ed Bukala

Reaction score
Wow, DaleH you are very thorough. Yes, I did not show the trailer but realize it needs to be added. I appreciate your reply and this could be a text book study of what a guy really needs to figure in when contemplating trailering.
Thanks, it gives me lots to think about, especially on the tow vehicle part of the equation.
Bukster

DaleH

Reaction score
Ed Bukala said:
Wow, DaleH you are very thorough. I appreciate your reply and this could be a text book study of what a guy really needs to figure in when contemplating trailering.
Thanks for the kind words! I "rebuilt" the boat in question and just for kicks, I weighed everything one season before bringing it aboard, since I had my handy-dandy electronic scale that went to 200-pounds with me ... that led me to me recording the weight of all of the new stuff I had added, as when I bought the boat, it was a complete empty frp hull with glass windows and some deck hardware installed. Other than that there wasn't a wire, gauge, switch, pump, hose, or system installed that was functional, as it all had been cut or smashed due to vandals.

It was amazing and appalling to me how the gear I carried had added up! For toona trips I've added more gear (anchor, chain, and another 1000' feet of rode) but for everyday use ... I've cut back A LOT on the amount of crap I was carrying aboard.

Cheers,

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
The worst thing you could do to yourself is buy a marginal trailer, and to me anything over 80% load-to-rating marginal. And don't be lulled into 'well, I'll only be using it ...' You will use the trailer every time you use/move the boat, so that isn't the place to skimp. Correctly sized trailers will last many years if constructed for the intended environment and properly fed and watered. I have a Loadmaster aluminum with torsion axles, stainless hardware, Kodiack all stainless discs, LED lighting that has done well for 5 years with only replacement of brake pads, one tail light, one set of tires, and the winch strap. I loosen/re-tighten every nut and bolt annually, have bearings checked/brakes bled annually, tires rotated/balanced annually. And my max load is about 78% of maximum rating.

The trailer gets you to the ramp and back home. Spec it correctly, maintain it religiously, don't abuse it, and it'll do so for a long time ... :wink:

magi111

Reaction score
Wow its really nice article...
Yes i agreed with your discussion...thanks for giving this exact reasons...

Wheels Florida