Trailer guide poles or bunks ?

Stony

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I have am 89 overnighter with 2020 Honda 150 and dual axle Pacific trailer and I would like to make loading on the trailer a little easier. I’m trying to decide on guide poles or guide bunks,

I would just like to get some feedback on which system would be better ? I went to the trailer and measured for the bunks and I think they would have to 10 feet in length due to the dual axles. Just wondering if anyone has Any opinions on which setup would be better.

any help would be appreciated

thanks Stony.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Guide poles on a properly set-up trailer work very well. I rarely see guide bunks and wondered if they helped prevent the bow from getting away from you, or if they just became a problem on steep ramps where they will be too submerged to do any good.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady
G

gradydaniele

I have guide poles on my trailer and they help a whole lot. Especially loading in the evening when it’s getting dark. Great investment if your going to trailer your boat allot.

Stony

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Thanks for the replies, I think I’ll try the pole setup.......

thanks agin

Stony

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Side bunks if you power load regularly with any wind/current. Get heavy duty uprights for them, not the cheap, mass-produced, thin-walled stuff.

You could also try centering bunks for the keel starting a few feet forward of the normal bunks (assuming you have a bunk trailer).

Most importantly is knowing your trailer and how far to submerge it at different ramps under different conditions.

Skipper

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hi Stony; I have side bunks and love them. They allow me to launch and recover easily by myself without assistance and really help to center the bow forward on the trailer if there is any cross wind at all. Either way, bunks or poles, probably one of the best devices ever to reduce frustration and make launching/recovery easier and faster.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I have an ‘87 Overnighter and bought this trailer about a year ago. The guide poles are a godsend!
You center the boat on the trailer and adjust the poles so they just touch the rub rail. Then when you retrieve the boat you sink it deep enough that the stern is just barely floating as the bow is hooked. When you pull the trailer out it drops right into place.

45258CB4-E42B-49D1-949D-C4C6CCDA3409.jpeg
943A0838-A2DD-4550-BB26-164F6E36400F.png

Last edited:
Reactions: vocz and trapper

Keitha

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I have CE Smith Guide posts with Lights on the top of each. They are awesome and a great company to deal with. The lighted tops of the posts seems like a minor thing, but once I used them, I wouldn't want to be without them. Backing the trailer in dark is so much better when you can see where the corners are. Also great visibility in traffic compared to just having regular trailer lights.
As for posts: They have always worked well for me. I don't care for bunks as they really interfere with cleaning the boat and tend to be rough on the gelcoat if they get any dirt in them.

Reactions: Meanwhile

Skipper

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have CE Smith Guide posts with Lights on the top of each. They are awesome and a great company to deal with. The lighted tops of the posts seems like a minor thing, but once I used them, I wouldn't want to be without them. Backing the trailer in dark is so much better when you can see where the corners are. Also great visibility in traffic compared to just having regular trailer lights.
As for posts: They have always worked well for me. I don't care for bunks as they really interfere with cleaning the boat and tend to be rough on the gelcoat if they get any dirt in them.
LOL sounds like I should maybe consider going over to the dark side and dumping my bunks for posts...

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have had both, and agree with Holokai on this one. Bunks if you have to deal with side winds and current. Helps me load much better than the poles.

vocz

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I am in the Puget Sound. Guide poles, the one and only.

J-cubed

Reaction score
I removed my guide bunks and slide pvc pipe over the uprights. The guide bunks would submerge rendering them useless.

Attachments

• IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Guide poles are ok, not honestly, try not putting the trailer so far in the water and let the bunks guide you.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I removed my guide bunks and slide pvc pipe over the uprights. The guide bunks would submerge rendering them useless.
I wondered about that.
figured if on some ramps if you went deep enough to float on could the stern drift over the side bunks? That won’t happen with poles.
I sometimes launch in the Delaware River. Most ramps there have you contending with a side currant. Doesn’t matter if you have a roller or bunk trailer if you don’t have guides of some sort that currant can make you look like a fool. Most that I’ve seen, well actually all that I’ve seen have been poles.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I wondered about that.
figured if on some ramps if you went deep enough to float on could the stern drift over the side bunks? That won’t happen with poles.
I sometimes launch in the Delaware River. Most ramps there have you contending with a side currant. Doesn’t matter if you have a roller or bunk trailer if you don’t have guides of some sort that currant can make you look like a fool. Most that I’ve seen, well actually all that I’ve seen have been poles.

Good point made here about the ramp steepness. Another factor is how high your trailer bunks/rollers are above the frame/axle centerline. Some trailers have the hull sitting lower and allow for easy floating on/off whereas others require engine power. You’ll get more depth range from poles but the bunks offer more support instead of a potential pivot point (in heavy wind/current).

Our local ramps have wind and/or surge and aren’t well designed (shallow angle and don’t extend far enough into the water) so my trailer is set up mainly for power loading. I also have target/keel bunks and a custom bow catch to allow for driving on/centering.

Best to check out the ramps you’ll most often use and see what the normal setup is there and learn from others mistakes/time/effort.

D4FAFF85-6578-40A1-8576-A1A4155BB9AC.jpeg

UCPA111

Reaction score
Good point made here about the ramp steepness. Another factor is how high your trailer bunks/rollers are above the frame/axle centerline. Some trailers have the hull sitting lower and allow for easy floating on/off whereas others require engine power. You’ll get more depth range from poles but the bunks offer more support instead of a potential pivot point (in heavy wind/current).

Our local ramps have wind and/or surge and aren’t well designed (shallow angle and don’t extend far enough into the water) so my trailer is set up mainly for power loading. I also have target/keel bunks and a custom bow catch to allow for driving on/centering.

Best to check out the ramps you’ll most often use and see what the normal setup is there and learn from others mistakes/time/effort.

View attachment 18860
I like this! Is the rear section a ladder? I have been trying to think of a way to make it easier to get in and out.

Reactions: leeccoll

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I like this! Is the rear section a ladder? I have been trying to think of a way to make it easier to get in and out.
On mine I just use the swim platform ladder.
The real trick for getting in and mostly out is off the bow when you’ve just motored up and need to get off, hook and pull the rig up the ramp. The high bows Grady’s have can make that move dicey at best.

Reactions: leeccoll