Trailer Guide posts for 2003 Grady White 180 Sportsman

seansylva

Reaction score
Hey fellow Grady Owners.

I have a bunk trailer with only two bunks and no other guides other than the front bow roller. I've decided I could benefit from some guide posts to help keep the boat centered over the trailer in the event there is wind when, and there always is, pulling my boat. If any of you have done this with this boat, how far apart did you place the posts?

Thanks in advance.

Sean

seasick

Reaction score
That's pretty funny but I do understand your question, My first thought was to space the guides at least as wide as the widest section of the boat ( usually it's beam). How much extra clearance you add is often personal preference but it should not be greater then the amount of off center placement of the boat you can deal with.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
i did the white pvc ones on my trailer. i installed them with the boat on the trailer and set them about an inch from the boat. honestly, since the pvc has flex, you could have them touch the boat. they work great and make solo ramp trips MUCH easier

Reactions: SkunkBoat

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Super easy install - nothing really to write about from that standpoint.

As far how wide to set them - my personal preference is to set them so they are the same width apart as the widest part of your boat - which is typically at about the windshield... or just look at the specs for your model ("beam").

FYI, two bunks are totally fine on a small boat. That's not the issue with loading problems. Wind/current is certainly challenging. Having the trailer too deep into the water also hurts.

Reactions: Halfhitch

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I just did posts last year, I got the aluminum ones that get 2" PVC slipped over. They're just behind the trailer wheels and about 1/2" wider than the width of the hull, work great.

BTW, my trailer had 2 long bunks that had an upward bend up front but never really contacted the hull up front, most of the weight was on the bow roller. I cut them to make 2 smaller ones up front and was able to get a much more solid support.

Before....

1664371748505.png

After (boat's slipped but you get the idea) , the bow sits lower, the long bunks have more bearing and the short ones up front (which swivel to match hull) are in solid contact with the hull.

IMG_2869.JPG

Last edited: