Trailer Issue, not enough tongue weight

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
family affair said:
If possible, the cheapest, simplest change (if the trailer is already level) would be to move the roller back on the winch stand. Drilling the holes won't be a picnic, but it will be way easier than moving axles.

Now that is a good idea.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thanks!
If it weren't for your photo showing the gap between the bottom of your roller and the d-ring, I would not have thought of it.
Hopefully there is nothing (part geometry) preventing you from making the change and you can move the boat up enough to give you what you need.
Keep us posted.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The gap between the roller and the bow eye is because the winch assembly is simply mounted too high on the winch stand. As I mentioned above, it needs to be moved lower. Cutting the roller "mount arm" shorter could work, but unfortunately it's not going to move the roller very much, at all. Hence, it won't really change things - it will have a very small impact on tongue weight since the roller will only move "forward" a very small amount. I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but it's just not going to have enough of a "real" impact. Also, you can't cut that arm too short, or the winch strap will now be coming off at a downward angle and it's best to keep it a straight pull.

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
DennisG01 said:
The gap between the roller and the bow eye is because the winch assembly is simply mounted too high on the winch stand. As I mentioned above, it needs to be moved lower. Cutting the roller "mount arm" shorter could work, but unfortunately it's not going to move the roller very much, at all. Hence, it won't really change things - it will have a very small impact on tongue weight since the roller will only move "forward" a very small amount. I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but it's just not going to have enough of a "real" impact. Also, you can't cut that arm too short, or the winch strap will now be coming off at a downward angle and it's best to keep it a straight pull.

DennisG, I have tried moving the height of the stand, If you notice the angle of the bow matches the angle of the support beam for the wench. I moved it up and down, no change. My wife said the same thing, the picture is where I left it after moving to test.

Boat-Trailer_zps0yxsj8r4.jpg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
(I can't tell from that picture if the bow eye is touching the roller)

Crazy, the reason you need to get the bow eye touching (snugged under) the bow roller is to help "lock" the bow in position. Without it, the bow can bounce as you go down the road (this will even happen on boats much larger than yours). If you happened to have to an emergency brake/turn/etc, it greatly helps to keep the boat in position. If there's a gap, it gives the boat a chance to gain momentum.

I've setup many, many trailers - there's always a way. From looking at your pictures, you should simply be able to slide the winch down till the roller contacts the bow eye. You mentioned you tried it, but somehow you're missing something. I probably can't be of much more help from where I am :) but all I can say is that I've never (nor any of the guys I works with) been NOT able to get the two pieces touching.

As far as the weight issue, if you don't feel like tackling moving the axles or taking it back to the dealer and paying them to do it, then try moving the winch stand in front of the "A-frame". As you correctly mentioned, if your wife can stand on the platform and it raises the trailer, it's definitely way too light.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I somehow missed the part about your wife climbing up the back and having the trailer move. If that is the case, you will need some significant changes like Dennis mentioned. I would head back to dealer to have axles moved.

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
DennisG01 said:
(I can't tell from that picture if the bow eye is touching the roller)

Crazy, the reason you need to get the bow eye touching (snugged under) the bow roller is to help "lock" the bow in position. Without it, the bow can bounce as you go down the road (this will even happen on boats much larger than yours). If you happened to have to an emergency brake/turn/etc, it greatly helps to keep the boat in position. If there's a gap, it gives the boat a chance to gain momentum.

I've setup many, many trailers - there's always a way. From looking at your pictures, you should simply be able to slide the winch down till the roller contacts the bow eye. You mentioned you tried it, but somehow you're missing something. I probably can't be of much more help from where I am :) but all I can say is that I've never (nor any of the guys I works with) been NOT able to get the two pieces touching.

As far as the weight issue, if you don't feel like tackling moving the axles or taking it back to the dealer and paying them to do it, then try moving the winch stand in front of the "A-frame". As you correctly mentioned, if your wife can stand on the platform and it raises the trailer, it's definitely way too light.

Yes I can move it down to where the roller touches the bow eye. I misread your post, I inferred that this would allow the boat to move further forward on the trailer. My mistake. In fact that is where I had it before and moved it to prove to my wife that it would not matter because no matter where the wench was located the distance from the wench to the bow was the same because the angle of the bow matched the angle of the wench arm.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Grady_Crazy said:
Yes I can move it down to where the roller touches the bow eye. I misread your post, I inferred that this would allow the boat to move further forward on the trailer. My mistake. In fact that is where I had it before and moved it to prove to my wife that it would not matter because no matter where the wench was located the distance from the wench to the bow was the same because the angle of the bow matched the angle of the wench arm.

You really shouldn't refer to your wife that way... :mrgreen: (It's a "winch"). A "wench" is something completely different. :)

OK, that makes sense, now - I was wondering WHY THE HECK is this guy talking about the angle of the winch stand matching the angle of the bow keel? Now I understand!

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
wench:
A voluptuous female pirate type woman, usually with a firey attitude, and usually seen around taverns and bars, seaside fishing towns, and wherever pirates roam

She said that was pretty much true!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Grady_Crazy said:
wench:
A voluptuous female pirate type woman, usually with a firey attitude, and usually seen around taverns and bars, seaside fishing towns, and wherever pirates roam

She said that was pretty much true!

Well then, carry on, 'matey! And... have fun!

Reactions: Grady_Crazy