Trailer opinions please...

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hi all, I have a 2002 Seafarer 228. Current trailer: King galvanized 4600 capacity. This is our 2nd season with the boat, just had second tire blowout, tires are 8 years old, replacing all on Friday.

Question 1: Is this enough Trailer for this boat, by my calculations, no, but how much wiggle room are in those Trailer ratings? I tried contacting King Trailers but they are not responding.

Boat dry: 3350#
Motors/Hardtop/Armstrong swim step bracket: 1500# (approximate)
Full fuel/water: 600#
Other stuff: 300#
Total: 5750#

Question 2: Assuming upgrading, what do you like/recommend? Is there a trailer dealer you had a good experience with (Seattle Area)? I have tried to contact a couple and they are not answering calls or returning VM's.

I have a quote on an Aluminum Tuff trailer (6K capacity) with electronic breaks (for towing to Canada) for $13K. That is a lot, but they seem like awfully nice trailers.
We would like to over trailer a bit because we like to use the boat as storage for extra toys on trips.

Thanks in advance for any feedback/advice. Dave.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hey Fish:

You are indeed the owner of a trailer that does not have enough capacity for your Seafarer.

I would recommend a minimum of 7K Capacity. Your Seafarer loaded up will be ballparking around 5800-6000 lbs. A 6K cap trailer will barely be enough and maybe NOT enough if you really load the boat up.

I have never been one to max a trailer out. I always want headroom so the trailer is not stressed on the edge of it's cap all the time.

I am not familiar with a trailer dealership in Seattle.

seasick

Reaction score
Was the capacity you mentioned the GVWR? That is usually on the trailer tag and includes the trailer itself. Assume that the trailer is about 1000 to 1200 pounds. add that to your calculated load of 5750 pounds and you have a total of 6950 pounds. You should size with some extra capacity especially if you will be trailering long distances. A minimum of 10% is a start or another 695 pounds putting you at a need for a trailer with a GVWR of 7645 lbs.

And as mentioned, your tires were way too old but even new tires would be seriously stressed (as would be the trailer suspension itself)

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As others have said, your trailer is overloaded.

A 7K GVW equates to 58-5900 lbs carrying capacity., This size trailer is typically what a 222/225/226/228 goes on here on the East Coast. Some builders build that size with 5.5" I-beam while others use 6.5". Personal preference is the bigger I-beam but it's not a deal breaker for me.

A decent mass produced 7K capacity aluminum with brakes on both axles goes for $5500-$6500 here in the SE USA. That will get you SS Hardware, LEDs, Torsion Axles, Radials, and brakes on both axles. If you upgrade the brakes to SS, you can expect to add $1300 or so to the cost. The more custom trailer producers will - predictably - be a bit more.

West Coasters still seem to prefer galvanized over aluminum, but it's the other way around here.

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for the replies thus far, if anyone has a dealer they like anywhere in the country that will ship I am willing to look in to that option as it may well be cheaper than buying here in the Seattle area where everything is expensive. Thanks again, Dave.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Try Pirate Marine in Ohio. He used to ship. Not sure if he still does.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hi all, I have a 2002 Seafarer 228. Current trailer: King galvanized 4600 capacity. This is our 2nd season with the boat, just had second tire blowout, tires are 8 years old, replacing all on Friday.

Question 1: Is this enough Trailer for this boat, by my calculations, no, but how much wiggle room are in those Trailer ratings? I tried contacting King Trailers but they are not responding.

Boat dry: 3350#
Motors/Hardtop/Armstrong swim step bracket: 1500# (approximate)
Full fuel/water: 600#
Other stuff: 300#
Total: 5750#

Question 2: Assuming upgrading, what do you like/recommend? Is there a trailer dealer you had a good experience with (Seattle Area)? I have tried to contact a couple and they are not answering calls or returning VM's.

I have a quote on an Aluminum Tuff trailer (6K capacity) with electronic breaks (for towing to Canada) for $13K. That is a lot, but they seem like awfully nice trailers.
We would like to over trailer a bit because we like to use the boat as storage for extra toys on trips.

Thanks in advance for any feedback/advice. Dave.
Good lord almighty... $13k? I live just north of Seattle and have a beach cabin on Whidbey Island, of which I knew that things were a bit more expensive out here but $13k for a 22' boat trailer is just insane. Is your current trailer a roller or bunk trailer? Depending on which, I believe I've found the trailer you've got below, which yes it only has a 4,600 load capacity which is simply much too light for a 228 Seafarer, even without any fuel or anything else on board. As others have mentioned, look elsewhere throughout the country, especially in the midwest and back on the east coast. That's why I always buy back east, I bought my 2004 GW 228 Seafarer with a 2009 aluminum I beam trailer for $26.5k and they sell out here for around $55k-$65k. I can very much justify the $26.5k that I paid for my boat, though I definitely couldn't justify spending double that or more on the same boat just because it's more convenient to buy locally. As others have mentioned I'd also recommend a 7k capacity as my boat got weighed in at 5,300 lbs just for the boat itself on the scale when we launched it on the sling in Edmonds in October of 2021 when I first bought the boat. That was with only a half a tank of fuel, two downriggers, a couple of fishing poles, minimal tackle, no water or really anything else. With a fully fueled and loaded boat I think I'd be up closer to the 6k lb range, similar to your estimates above. I always recommend an aluminum trailer as they won't rust anywhere near as easily as the galvanized steel trailers will, and I always recommend bunk trailers as well. Rollers tend to have a lot of weight on a small area and can leave indentations in the hull of the boat, and the boat can roll off the trailer at the ramp if you're not careful. One of the guys on the Arima owners forum actually did that with a brand new roller trailer to where he took off the safety chain and the boat rolled off the trailer onto the concrete of the ramp. Finally, rollers are more expensive to replace when you do have to inevitably replace them, as opposed to bunks which are quite inexpensive to do so, and you could do the work quite easily on your own. But yes, shop around, compare and get a much better deal in the midwest or back east and have the trailer shipped to you. You'll likely spend half the money doing so, but either way good luck and post a couple pictures of the boat when you get a chance. It's always nice having a fellow 228 Seafarer owner in the Seattle area as well. Oh and just for a reference, my trailer weighs 975 lbs.

Last edited:
Reactions: magicalbill

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here's a brand new Load Rite aluminum dual axle trailer at Defiance Marine over in Bremerton for $7,500. Probably not going to be as nice as the one you specced out, but is almost $6k less and is in stock. Just an example of shopping around a bit, and I also know that Venture Trailers make a respectable trailer that's inexpensive as well as around half of that $13k price, or even less.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The “brakes on both axle” version of that Load Rite - with aluminum wheels, is $6K here in Atlanta. Unless it’s $1500 to ship it out, order on the East Coast and have it sent to you.

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks Mustang, I will call them in the morning - They are closed now. Yeah, I have been trying to shop around but not seeing a lot of difference in price outside of the Venture Aluminum at $8K (and the one Mustang mentioned). The problem with the Venture is that near all I have read about them has been negative - Mostly that all components are cheap and need constant replacing or an initial upgrading.

And yes Mustang that is the Trailer I have with bunks. It is funny, everything about the boat was so perfectly maintained etc, I did not even think to look at the Trailer when we purchased. We did not make an offer, paid what was asked. The Verado is a 2015 and the Merc kicker pro is a 2019. I had been beaten to the punch on a few other Seafarers - One I called on less than an hour after posting and lost it. They go damn quick out here.

Also, I forgot to mention, that I need electronic breaks for trailering to Canada, they are required on anything over 6160lbs. I have read a couple of posts of folks being turned around at the border, so not something I want to try to fudge. Most places that I have talked to have offered them as an option (aprox $1K) and they come standard on the Karavan I am looking at (again about $13K).

I also want something plenty reliable as we tend to do more long trips than short trips so reliability is key - Don't want issues in Canada 8 hours form home.

I am defiantly going to start looking at other parts of the country for better prices assuming they will ship for reasonable $. Again, any leads appreciated, especially a shop familiar with Gradys so we can get things easily figured over the phone.

Thanks again, Pic included as requested (Sucia Island in the San Juans, WA), Dave.
DSCN2606.jpeg

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Great looking boat, though I'm admittedly a bit biased lol. Yeah... the Venture trailers are definitely on the cheaper side, but even if you did buy one for say $6k and had to put another $1k-$2k into upgrades, you're still saving $5k-$6k total. The Load Rite though I think would be a decent option and I've dealt with Defiance Marine in the past, of which they're a pretty reputable business. If you look on the Load Rite website all aluminum bunk dual axle trailers available do have the option for electric over hydraulic brakes to be added, which will fill the need of being able to tow in Canada. I'd definitely call Defiance, or maybe someone else has one that's closer, and see if you could purchase the trailer from them and have them install the electric brakes on top of it?

Coastboater

Reaction score
Buy two or three. Once you’re paying to ship one the others ride almost free.
Around here, Load Rite (5Starr) is considered a mid-tier trailer, Venture is held in higher regard. Wesco is popular since their built in West Columbia, SC. Just pay attention to detail as many mfg’s have different “tiers” to save cost. Brakes, hubs, actuator, axles, tires, wheels there’s quite a variety of price points.
edit to add: very popular axle capacity selection is 3,500 lbs. Next click up is 5,000 lbs. Two 3,500 axles minus the weight of the trailer (800-1,000 lbs.) leaves you the ~6,000 lb carrying capacity.

Last edited:

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
are full electric brakes required, or can you do EOH?

also, i think you are getting some good advice on this thread. 7k or more for the win and you should be able to do WAY better than $13k

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Not speaking for the OP, but I believe Canada (over 6100) requires EOH. Surge can't be operated independently of the tow vehicle and that's how the law is written there.

I would think Loadmaster or Float On can build the OP a sweet aluminum bunk trailer, add EOH, and get it shipped out for less than $13K.

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yes, Parthery, this is the case. Most manufacturers will add the EOH upgrade for $700-$1k (On the Karavan they came standard). BTW, for those who have not explored EOH, I am reading a lot of good things about them especially for heavier loads or those pulling near capacity of their rig. I have seen "night and day difference" a few times. Especially helpful in hilly regions.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
From what I've read on a quick Google search...

British Columbia
Trailer Brake Requirements
Gross trailer weight of 1,400 kg (3,080 Ibs) or less – Brakes are required if the trailer and its load weigh more than 50% of the licensed weight of the vehicle towing it.
Gross trailer weight of 1,401 kg (3,081 Ibs) to 2,800 kg (6,160 Ibs) – Brakes are required, including a breakaway brake.
Gross trailer weight of more than 2,800 kg (6,160 Ibs) – Brakes are required, and the trailer brakes must be capable of being applied by the driver independently of the towing vehicle's brakes. A surge brake does NOT meet this requirement. A breakaway brake is also required. Brakes are required on all axles.
The sole exemption to this rule is for a 3 axle house trailer, in which case brakes are only required on 2 of the 3 axles.

As mentioned above... if the weight is over 6,160 lbs then the trailer brakes must be capable of being applied by the driver independently of the towing vehicle's brakes and a surge brake does not meet this requirement. On the LoadRite trailer website it mentions that their EOH brake setup "offer electric in-cab control of standard hydraulic disc brakes." So, it sounds as though it would very much meet this requirement by just having the EOH brakes, as well as having brakes on all axles of the trailer. On a side note, I bought my boat back in Maryland and then rented a U-Haul truck to trailer the boat 3,009 miles across the country back to just north of Seattle where I live. My trailer has 3,500 lb axles on it and I believe just has the brakes on the one axle and not boat, yet I never had any issue whatsoever slowing down, stopping or anything of the sort when driving the boat back across the country. Canada obviously has some different laws than we do down here in the states but for the average person driving their boat/trailer less than 100-200 miles each year, I suppose I don't see the necessity of EOH brakes or having brakes on both axles. Is it a safe idea to do so? Sure. Though as stated above, definitely not a necessity unless it's required by law. Just my opinions of course. To the OP, let us know what you decide on doing and who you end up going with.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Brake laws are funny here. In Florida and Georgia and several other states, brakes must be on all axles if the GVW exceeds 3000 lbs. Of course, you can go throughout Florida and find 22-24' trailers with no brakes. If they were "legally" sold, they were stamped with a GVW of 2999 to get around the law.

I've had brakes on all axles on every trailer I've owned. It's usually another $300-$400 for the second axle surge (unless you go full SS then it's more.) For me it's cheap insurance....

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Quick update: Trailer quote from Pirate Marine(recommended by Family affair) in Ohio for Aluminum Load Rite with everything that I want: Guide rails; EOH; Stainless hardware; 8400# capacity: $8,951, for the 6K capacity it was $8,031, nothing in between. Much better than prices here thus far.

My 1st quote to ship it here: $4,795.... Back to square one...

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Quick update: Trailer quote from Pirate Marine(recommended by Family affair) in Ohio for Aluminum Load Rite with everything that I want: Guide rails; EOH; Stainless hardware; 8400# capacity: $8,951, for the 6K capacity it was $8,031, nothing in between. Much better than prices here thus far.

My 1st quote to ship it here: $4,795.... Back to square one...
Hop a plane to Ohio, rent a truck, pull it home yourself,,, should be less than $4795, and you get to have an adventure.

Reactions: family affair