Trailer Question

richandhelen

Reaction score
I have 2 new single axle Venture trailers; one for my 17 ft wood Grady and one for my Tournament 192. Both trailers are mostly aluminum, but have galvanized cross members that are rectangular (closed) in cross section and V shaped across the width with a low point mid-way between the bunks. On the smaller trailer, there is a hole at this low point which I am assuming is to allow the water to drain out from the cross-member. The larger trailer does not have any holes at the low point. I believe water can still get into the cross members because there is wiring fed in and out of them, and I would imagine water can also get in at both ends.

I am thinking of drilling a small drain hole in both cross members on the larger trailer, and would appreciate any thoughts on whether this is a good idea. If anyone has a Venture trailer and can reply if they have drain holes, that would also be helpful. Thank you annd Happy Thanksgiving!

Rich

Fishshoreman

Reaction score
First off, Happy Thanksgiving to you and all the members here. Second, welcome to the site. I have a Venture trailer for my boat and has drain holes in both axle beam at the lowest points. In my opinion it is a good idea to drill holes if none exist. I had a trailer fail because there were no holes for drainage in the cross beams. I would drill a 1/4" hole at the lowest point on the centerline of the crossbeams. Be careful to not hit any wires or anything else inside the channel that you can't see. Good luck!

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would seal the metal edges after drilling with paint or a galvanizing compund.