Trailer sizing for Gulfstream

biggarfish

Reaction score
I need to buy a trailer for my 1988 Gulfstream with twin Merc 150's. I intend to trailer with only the main tank 1/2 full with only fishing fear aboard. I believe this model runs about 4600 lbs. dry weight. Engines are 455 lbs. each. My question is what should the minimum GVWR be in a trailer I need to purchase, based on other members experiences? Secondly what would be the overall weight of this boat based on the information above? And any other advice would be appreciated.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
As I always say, I'm not going to do the math for you - it's simple enough. But, I can certainly offer some guidance.

-- You can't buy a trailer based on how you "think" you will load it. You must buy the trailer based on "loaded up". To do otherwise would be foolhardy
-- Fuel is about 6.5lbs per gallon
-- Water is about 8lbs per gallon
-- Batteries are about 50lbs each
-- Any options you have on the boat need to be calculated in because the listed dry weight is for a bare bones boat
-- Add about 300lbs to 500lbs for ice, gear, 2-stroke oil, etc
-- For safe measure, add 10% to this final figure

Now you have your carrying capacity - GVWR will include the weight of the trailer and that depends on the type of the trailer and configuration.

Don't buy a trailer based solely on price. Avoid cheapies like Venture - they "can" be OK, but their rate of quality issues far exceeds others.

If you're not going to setup the trailer to fit the hull once you get it, make sure you are buying from a reputable dealer.

Get brakes on all axles. Highly consider EOH brakes - espeically if you're towing with a marginal vehicle - but either way, it is MUCH safer.

biggarfish

Reaction score
As I always say, I'm not going to do the math for you - it's simple enough. But, I can certainly offer some guidance.

-- You can't buy a trailer based on how you "think" you will load it. You must buy the trailer based on "loaded up". To do otherwise would be foolhardy
-- Fuel is about 6.5lbs per gallon
-- Water is about 8lbs per gallon
-- Batteries are about 50lbs each
-- Any options you have on the boat need to be calculated in because the listed dry weight is for a bare bones boat
-- Add about 300lbs to 500lbs for ice, gear, 2-stroke oil, etc
-- For safe measure, add 10% to this final figure

Now you have your carrying capacity - GVWR will include the weight of the trailer and that depends on the type of the trailer and configuration.

Don't buy a trailer based solely on price. Avoid cheapies like Venture - they "can" be OK, but their rate of quality issues far exceeds others.

If you're not going to setup the trailer to fit the hull once you get it, make sure you are buying from a reputable dealer.

Get brakes on all axles. Highly consider EOH brakes - espeically if you're towing with a marginal vehicle - but either way, it is MUCH safer.
Thanks. The trailer will definitely be hydraulic/electric disc brakes. A friend of mine forgot to take his identical boat (1992) through the weigh scales to get an axle weight so its winter now and I've got time to do some research. A 10,000 lb trailer in Canada is about $13,000

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Don't overthink this. Add up the weights and you have your number - no reason to compare to anyone else. Numbers don't lie. Then decide on who you're going to buy from and the type of trailer that suits the way you will use the boat (not anyone else).

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I trailered a Gulfstream for 10 years; Michigan to Fla, Ky, etc.

The boat had twin 200's and with full fuel, ice & gear it was 10,100 lbs on the Cat Scale at the truck stop. This is boat & trailer.

Yours will be lighter, but, as Dennis says, make sure your figures are accurate based on your scenario.

Now the "useful" part of my post:

I listened to others and got a marginal trailer, right on the edge. It was equipped with 5K axles. I blew bearings prematurely, had brake problems and welds broke over time. I was always fixing something.

I had two 7000 axles installed and my problems ceased except for regular maintenance.

To use the too-often used phrase, "my 2 cents," overbuild your trailer. I would spec nothing less than a 2000 pound cushion over and above your calculated weight.