Trailer Tires

brutus

Reaction score
Hi..I joined last year and finally got a GW this year..An '86 Sailfish255 very well kept...Got a few questions but I'll start with the trailer tires first. Previous owner put new radials on the twin axle 7200# trailer. They are trailer tires but even with proper air pressure they bellow and ride sort of flat. I'm thinking this would create unnecessary drag in tow. Is this normal for radials or should an 8 ply tire been used instead?
Any recommendations would be appreciated...
Great forum guys...Tons of info....Thanks!!

richie rich

Reaction score
that doesnt sound good...tires may be old...check the date stamp on the tires and dry cracking in the sidewalls......if its over 4 years think about getting new ones.......since the trailer is 7200lbs, each tire should be rated for at least 2000+lbs minimum....either "C" or "D" rating...also think about repacking all the wheel bearings and go through your brakes front to back.

brutus

Reaction score
Tires are new last year and are Load Range C rated for 1760# @ 50psi cold air pressure...All brakes and hose replaced with tires but not sure about the wheel bearings, I'll have to ask about that.....That's what sparked my concern was that the tires are new and ride sort of low...Air pressure on all tires are between 48 - 50 psi...

Thanks for the reply richie rich!!

richie rich

Reaction score
at 1760 a tire, you don't even reach the GWV of the trailer...7040 vs 7200

I would either opt for D rated tires or it may seem your trailer is a bit overloaded if the bulge is that significant

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Definitely need D's (around 2500# rating).

If the 7200 is the capacity not GVW you're OK but marginal.

brutus

Reaction score
You're right it may be marginal or not enough...The axles have stickers that read 3700#.....I'm going to guess the hull with engines and fuel topped off maybe close to 6400#....Don't know what the trailer alone weighs but I could be border line or above 7400 GVW.....Maybe I should look for another trailer when she's on her mooring.

Using the VIN, how do I identify the manufacturer? Trailer has EZ Loader emblems but they say it's not their VIN..Title says LOAD is the maker..

Thanks for all your replies guys!!

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If the 7200 is GVW, you're definitely over. About 5K for the hull and 900 for the motors plus fuel (max of 1200) and the trailer is at least 1500.

brutus

Reaction score
Spoke with customer service at GW today and they suggested a trailer with a carrying capacity of 7400# so that puts the GVW up towards 8900#.
Trailers got to go..not chancing this one.

Thanks for all the replies boys..Much Appreciated!!