Trailer Tires

Alibi II

Reaction score
I have a tre-axel Pacific trailer for my 2004 GW 282 sail fish. The trailer came with Carlisle 8 ply bias tires rated for 65 psi. I will trailer 6-8,000 miles per yr. The first set was on the trailer for 5 years and they still had plenty of tread but I was concerned about age and sun damage. While trailering in 119 degree heat we had a tread seperation. In March of 2009 I replaced all six tires with the Carlisle replacement model. In Aug. I suffered a blowout in very hot weather. I replaced the tire. Recently we towed to MX about 1300 miles each way. On the return we stopped in Tuscon. When I examined the tires I spotted the following problems. The insides tread pattern on both tires on the front axle were worn completely through the tread in a pattern that was about 2" wide. The rest of the tread looked fine. The two tires on the middle axle had scrubbing or wear patterns on both the inside and outside tread about 2" each. The tires on the rear axle appeared to be ok.
I had to buy 6 new tires to make it home. The trailer and tires are rated for almost 16,000 lb. and obviously not overloaded. I have not hit anything with the trailer and all bearings were new and freshly greased. The tire store said that he thought that it was an axel problem but I don't think tht this is the case. I replaced the tires with 10 ply towmaster redials. Anyone experienced similar problems? What do you use for tires?
Thanks for your help.

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Alibi, the wear pattern across the 3 sets of axles is telling you that the hitch on your tow vehicle is too high causing unequal weight distribution across the 3 axles. Your rear axle is loaded heaviest and causes the two axles ahead of it to absorb the scuffing in turns. In a properly leveled trailer, where the weights are about equal on each axle, the front and rear will pivot around the center axle. You didn't say what axle you had the tread separation and blow out on.

The only way to set your hitch height properly is to find someone with wheel scales and weigh each axle. You can't do it by eye. I used to weigh RVs using portable wheel scales and often saw these problems. A general rule of thumb was 200 lbs weight transfer per inch of hitch movement, up or down.

You don't say how long you've owned the trailer but my guess is not that long. I think the reason the original tires lasted so long is that a different tow vehicle had a lower hitch tho' it's possible the tires. rubber composition was harder.

Hope this helps.
GAry 89 Overnighter

ahill

Reaction score
Carlisles are notorious for tread separation under normal operating conditions.
I replaced the tires on my 17 Mako EZ loader trailer with 14" Carlisles. Had a tread come off after about 1500 miles, no warranty. I have a few friends that have equally bad experience.
If I have another failure I'll switch to a diferent mfr.
It would be interesting to know what the SKA and Redfish circuit guys use they hve to have reliability in trlr tires.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
I had Carlisle tires on my 2002 Eagle trailer for my 2002 BW Outrage. They are Chinese junk! I had two blowouts under very calm conditions. These were violent sidewall separations that no one could believe happened. When I bought my 2008 Eagle trailer for my Tournament 225 I spec'd Goodyear Marathon radials and have been very pleased. Over the past two seasons I have probably trailered that boat over 3000-4000 miles. It's about 150 miles each way to Cumberland and back. I have had no problems with the Goodyears and my boat lives on its trailer year round. I will never buy a Carlisle tire again.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
This is very interesting as my fronts are wearing in an unusual pattern.
I recall reading a story of a tri axle trailer; which was blowing out the fronts and it was to do with the boat being unevenly loaded over the 3 axles.

They moved the boat back about 12" on the trailer and no more problems.

I can see how hitch height would also play a part in all of this; as well as tire quality of course but i would still look at setup first