Trailer tires

Bonnie Blue

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Happy new year everyone!
It’s time for new trailer tires for us. We have been running Trailer King tires. Our local tire shop carries them but also Promax for a little more and Hercules for around $15 per tire more.
Has anyone had really bad luck with either one?
We are hauling our 265 express on a Boatmaster trailer with two axles and some long trips.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Goodyear Endurance is my recommendation. Not familiar with any of those brands you listed.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Maxxis and Load Star Karrier H/D are the top tier tire brands for trailers. I have never had any issues with either whereas I had lots of issues with other brands.

Reactions: J-cubed

TUNAHUNTER197

Reaction score
I have my 265 sitting on Goodyear Endurance tires (ST225/75/R15). Purchased and shipping from Discount Tire Direct for $121/tire. Took them to Costco to mount to the rim for $15/tire. Have had zero issues but fishing has been pretty non-existent with a newborn at home.

Reactions: PointedRose

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Another vote for Goodyear Endurance. Readily available and the best of what's out there.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Seems Goodyear has stepped up with the Endurance tire. I was not aware they had this one and is made in USA!

I did some price comparisons in my size: ST235/85R16 E
GY Endurance : $191.00
Maxxis M8008: 164.00
Load Star Karrier HD: $147.00

The 16 might be more in it's class than those in the 15" class size, but found this to be interesting in comparison.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I'm using these. Eastern Marine 1350168. 2 axel trailer. Aprox 9,000 lbs. 80 psi tires. $156 on rims.

LOADSTAR ST225/75R-15" RADIAL Tire & Galvanized Rim, (6-Lug) L.R. E

jillyrubyjane

Reaction score
Model
Dolphin
Goodyear Endurance. This tire has a higher speed rating, Higher load rating and expected tread wear. I feel more comfortable with this tire than the OEM tire. Highly recommend!

garyroe

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have just bought Roadstar B78-13 Trailer Tires. Will these fit / appropriate for on a travel trailer camper?

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I have just bought Roadstar B78-13 Trailer Tires. Will these fit / appropriate for on a travel trailer camper?
What size tires does said travel trailer have already? if the size matches then it will fit.
I am a long hauler . Not Covid long hauler , a trailering long hauler. my typical trips are between 600 and 2,000 mile round trips with either my camper and or boat. I did a month long 7,500 mile trip in 18 out west tiring my camper . I have had more flats ,failed bearings and hubs than you can imagine and that china bomb thing is real.

I only use Good Year Endurance and since bring Lazer focused on trailer running gear maintenance, I have not had a failure In several years. We had Endurance on our boat and camper trailers now for 4 years.. Great tire. However,I don't think they make it in a 13 inch wheel size. If your camper could accomodate a 14 inch wheel get Endurance. If it can't you should seriously replace those tires every 2-3 years especially if they are made in China.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I wouldn't buy anything made in China if I can find equivalent made anywhere else, especially tyres and bearings .
Any of the major brands make radial 8 ply tyres that are suitable. In Australia 13" tyres are hard to find these days 14 and 15 are common on trailers now. I run 15",8 ply Bridgestone radials on my boat trailer and change them after 5 years regardless of tread left I make sure they are not older than a few months when I buy them.
The other thing you have to make sure the tyres will only be loaded to 75-80% max.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Well, seems it was time again to face the dreaded tire change!
I know they say to change your tires every 4 years. I knew I was close being 3.5 years now on my new tires that came on the trailer.
Running this weekend to the coast which is about 165 miles, I made it about 100 of those miles in cool temps, raining and had a blowout! I had just checked the wheel hubs temp and tires all felt cool so I know this was not heat related. Also had checked pressure in all tires before I left and all were set to the maximum load so pressure was right. So why did this tire go?
Well, upon further checking after the tire change and getting to my destination, I could see dry rot on the sidewalls that just blows me away! The tires are in the sun partially only 6 months of the year, so why dry rot so quickly? I have to assume the failure was tread seperation due to the rot. Also the tires are always sitting on a wood ramp, so not on the ground.
Oh well, now the next issue! Why in the heck are the tires so much more expensing now? Wow! These are the prices I posted back in January. Now, the GY Endurance is $249. Maxxis does not have the same size so no longer an option. And my Loadstar is what blew out, so seems now my only option is to go the GY Endurance. Funny that I checked on how long tires should last for trailers and the GY Endurance says 3 to 5 years. So even those are saying the average is 4 years.

I did some price comparisons in my size: ST235/85R16 E
GY Endurance : $191.00
Maxxis M8008: 164.00
Load Star Karrier HD: $147.00

Reactions: coldpizza

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Goodyear Endurance all day long before the others. I'm on my second set and only replaced due to age, never had an issue with them.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Good to hear that KY! I have been checking reviews and seems some folks having issues with some bulging tires, buts seems most complaints were within the first 200 miles or so.
I am pretty sure I will go for the GY's this time as I just found them $50 cheaper on discount tire online. Just need to figure out the logistics for an installer, somewhere that has a lot big enough for me to get into with this rig.
I am also going to check if they will be ok to use the balance beads that I have now since they did a good job keeping the tires smooth. I know in the past some places are weird about anything in the tires. Maybe nowdays more are in use and they are ok with it.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Has anyone tried the Green balls from Costco? Reviews look good. I know it is a Chinese/Taiwanese tire, but so are the Loadstar's I've been running for over 10 years on different trailers. I soak mine in 303 and keep them out of the sun. In the winter I lift the trailer to take the weight off. Knock on wood, no issues.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I re-read Smoky's experience and know Ky tows a lot, so will definitely go with the GY Endurance this time around. I do know GY has the knowledge to build a great trailer tire. Back in 1986, I bought a 20' boat/trailer that had those stupid balloon style tires on the Rolls Axle trailer. Forget size, but think they were 12" tires. None of the tire stores wanted to ever change them as they were a knightmare and would not fit on most of the tire changers so they had to sit in the sun and heatup and do it manually.
However, the GY's lasted a long time. Then they stopped making them. No matter what other brands I used, they blew out constantly. Finally was able to get rid of that trailer and then had the dreaded Carlisle's. Even with 15" tires, they blew out constantly. At least the tire stores didn't ban be from returning. That is when I went to the Maxxis tires and never had any issues. Amazing the difference. I would likely do them again but they don't make my size now, so GY here I come!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Back in the day, Goodyear had the USA made Marathon tire and they were the tire of choice. I guess in the infinite wisdom of corporate, they outsourced them to China and the quality suffered terribly to the point of lack of sales,,, much like Bud Light, but we won't go there.

It's been a few years now, but Goodyear has seemed to redeem themselves with the introduction of the USA made Endurance tire. I've had great success with them as I've said, I'm on my second set only because of age. I have to trailer everywhere being in central Kentucky, and they have served me well. I also balance my tires and I feel that contributes to the longevity of the tires, especially with the road miles I travel.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Yeah, the Marathon sounds familiar. My rig is so heavy, I have to stay very diligent on tires and hubs. How many years do you go before changing KY?

By the way, I am from Lexington originally. I would have never thought to trailer a boat to the coast from there back when I lived in Ky. Those tows are a long haul for sure and you have to have something you trust!

P.S. Yes, it made me paranoid! lol.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Small world, just south of Lexington, Richmond/Berea area.

I changed out going into 5th year. Trailering is all I know for now, if I want to go anywhere. Leaving for the Keys next month for a week. But I also tow with this, so it's not really an issue.

20201024_172244.jpg

Reactions: fordfisherman