Trailer work

Shannon C.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hey guys, got a tri axle Trail Rite for my Marlin. I have been needing to get this work done so I splashed the boat paid for an end tie for a week and here I go. I was kinda dreading that the mounting bolts for the brake housing would sheer off but to my surprise they came out relatively easy. The spindles are in great shape, I want to tackle the rust on the springs and the mounding plates, so I was thinking a scraper and a wire wheel. After that I want to spray paint with Rust-Oleum. Is there something you recommend putting on before painting?

Thanks everyone,

Trying to upload pics but the file is to large.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Shannon,

Did you try cropping the picture(s) you were trying to upload?

I have to edit mine as my phone camera take large file pics.

Good luck working on the trailer!

Lee

seasick

Reaction score
It's hard to determine the condition of the springs since a lot of the rusting takes place between the leafs. That said, if they have a rusty surface that comes off as dust or grit, that's better than a cratered surface that you can chip off chunks of metal and rust.
I spray my trailer parts with cold galvanizing spray. They carry it at Home Depot. Just wire brush a little and spray. You can't really coat all the spring surfaces. I use the spray on all parts that show rust. It doesn't stop the rusting it but slows it down. The Cold Galvanizing paint also covers very well.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Shannon,

Lee

There is no need to have your camera set to such large megapixel settings unless you are going to blow up the image to poster size. Most cameras have choices in the menu to reduce the amount of megapixels it stores and most have a setting called "PC", which is intended for our normal use. Saves a lot of hassle. Off topic but just a side note.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

Shannon C.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I think I got it, the image isn’t that good maybe the angle with the sun. Will do on the wire brush, I didn’t want to spend a day on cleaning the rust off but I’ll do the best I can, I’ll keep you updated.
Have a great day!!

Attachments

• 6C938108-DAFE-410A-88BB-0003FD86738C.jpeg
    6C938108-DAFE-410A-88BB-0003FD86738C.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 33

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Shannon,

Lee
You can also set your phone to take smaller sizes images.

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If you can see daylight between the spring leaves, they are on their way out. The rust gets in there and separates the spring leaves and creates a pendulum effect that tends to promote snapping of the spring. If I can see light through the spring I replace the spring

seasick

Reaction score
If you can see daylight between the spring leaves, they are on their way out. The rust gets in there and separates the spring leaves and creates a pendulum effect that tends to promote snapping of the spring. If I can see light through the spring I replace the spring
That's a handy method to judge condition.

I had a 'funny' experience a few years back while launching my boat. The boat and trailer were all of 100 yards from the ramp. The trailer was on semi soft land, mostly packed dirt and some crushed asphalt. When I started to tow the trailer to the ramp, one wheel froze. I have had that happen to that trailer in the past and usually all I needed to do was go back and forth a bit to free it up ( drum brakes). Well this time it didn't want to free up so I continued to drag it. That was ok until I got to the concrete ramp. The wheel now had a lot more traction and when I gunned the truck to get the trailer moving, the frozen wheel started to hop. And it hopped all the way till the wheel hit the water.
I launched the boat and pulled the trailer. The wheel still was not rolling but slid a lot easier without the boat on it. I looked back towards the ramp and all along the path were pieces of leaf springs!
I guess the age along with the hopping just shattered the leafs.
So that season the trailer got new leafs, SS disks, new actuator, wiring, lights and brake lines. Had to get new tires since the dragging also caused a nice flat spot.
Learned a bit that day.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I think I got it, the image isn’t that good maybe the angle with the sun. Will do on the wire brush, I didn’t want to spend a day on cleaning the rust off but I’ll do the best I can, I’ll keep you updated.
Have a great day!!

Hard to tell from the pic but it doesn't look great. Looks like your springs don't have straps to hold them together . That hub/rotor looks cactus , you need a new one there . If I was you I would replace with Galvanised lazy hubs and hat rotors , easy to just replace rotors as required S/S are best but pricey ( cheaper in the long run). If you trailer any distances you should replace the springs as well. Check the axles if they are not solid for rust, it can come from the inside.
In Australia we mostly use solid axles hollow are only used on light trailers.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Springs are one of the least expensive aspects to replace, in comparison to the axles etc. If you have a way to get the boat off the trailer while you work, takes a few hours and all will be well. Just take the time to replace those as well as the straps etc. Springs are like 50 bucks or something, a set, so.. what....call it $300.. plus call it $100 for the mounting parts to be new. $400 and springs will be good as new.

R

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Russ,
You don't need the boat off the trailer to replace springs , it can be done with the boat on very easy. You can remove and replace axles with the boat on as well.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Yes, I know this. I am stating the easy way to do it. I replaced the entire axle with the boat on the trailer. Thanks.

Shannon C.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hard to tell from the pic but it doesn't look great. Looks like your springs don't have straps to hold them together . That hub/rotor looks cactus , you need a new one there . If I was you I would replace with Galvanised lazy hubs and hat rotors , easy to just replace rotors as required S/S are best but pricey ( cheaper in the long run). If you trailer any distances you should replace the springs as well. Check the axles if they are not solid for rust, it can come from the inside.
In Australia we mostly use solid axles hollow are only used on light trailers.
The picture is just after I pulled the tires and hubs off the axle. the springs are being replaced as well as hubs/ bearings/ brakes/ rotors ect. The axles are in good shape, just waiting on parts.

Shannon C.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Springs are one of the least expensive aspects to replace, in comparison to the axles etc. If you have a way to get the boat off the trailer while you work, takes a few hours and all will be well. Just take the time to replace those as well as the straps etc. Springs are like 50 bucks or something, a set, so.. what....call it $300.. plus call it $100 for the mounting parts to be new. $400 and springs will be good as new.

R
Real close Russ, $455.00 for a tri axle..

Shannon C.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks Spark, I did see a little daylight on a couple of the axles so I decided to replace all the axles.

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Good choice. Not worth getting a snapped spring while going down the road.

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I usually spray my new springs with instant galvanized before I install them to help them last longer. I also use my fresh water wash down to rinse my springs after I pull my boat out of salt water. It helps. South Florida is rough on trailers.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I usually spray my new springs with instant galvanized before I install them to help them last longer. I also use my fresh water wash down to rinse my springs after I pull my boat out of salt water. It helps. South Florida is rough on trailers.
Yes they are as anywhere in salt water. That's why most salt trailers are aluminum I beams and torsion axles they last a lot longer and less maintenance.
In any case if you change the springs, hubs, rotors and maybe calipers you will be ok for a while.