Trailering a 222 Fisherman?

NHAngler

Reaction score
I am slowly deciding on my next boat and after owning a 180, I am certain my next boat will be a Grady White and sticking with a center console. I have been searching for later model 209 but now thinking a 222 might save me upgrading again in 4-5 years and be able to handle bigger water. However, since I trailer my boats 50-60miles each way to/from the ocean, I kind of want to know what I am in for regarding trailering the heavier 222. Beyond the distance, most ramps I use are usable at all tides but have friends with bigger boats where this is sometimes a challenge.

I tow with a newer Toyota Tundra and for whatever boat I get next, I will put a brand new trailer under it.

Would love to hear thoughts from those with a similar configuration?. ..or even from those that had the same concern and went with the little brother 209 or other?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Why "a brand new trailer"? If the used trailer is good, it's good. Save your money. Like anything else, just check it out well (frame, brakes, tires, axles, bearings, lights, etc) - or hire someone to do it for you - it's not that costly.

What is your particular Tundra rated to pull? There are sometimes optional gear ratios and such that affect the rating. Take the dry weight of the Grady you're looking at, add in gas, batteries, ice, gear. Add 500lbs for the motor and about 1,000lbs for an aluminum trailer... 1,500 for galvanized. General rule of thumb is to try and stay under 80% of the trucks trailer rating.

When you say "friends with BIGGER boats"... what does bigger mean?

As far as what you're "in for"... as long as your truck can safely pull (actually, safely STOP is the more important thing) it, you're technically good to go. Launching is exactly the same, other than having to back in the water a little further. But other than that, it all comes down to your experience and what you're comfortable with. Towing a little ('my" definition of "little!) 22-footer is certainly not something to be worried about, though.

As I always say... as long as the rig stays behind me, I'm happy. If it starts to pass me on the highway... then I worry.

Reactions: NHAngler

NHAngler

Reaction score
If the trailer that comes with whatever I buy is within a few years old, I will certainly consider it. However, I hate working on trailers and seems like the most sacrificial part of a trailered boat. Wheels, tires, springs, rotors, bearings, pads, rollers, roller arms, pins, actuator, etc. All fixable and part of good maintenance but at the cost of my time. My last overhaul of my trailer, I did the math and put like 75% of the trailers new value into it in new parts. It is a great trailer and was worth investing. However, the upgrade to new would have added piece of mind and after selling it and buying new, I would have been @ the same amount invested or close for a new one.

Over 10K for the tow rating on my Tundra. 4.3:1 on gearing (I believe). I would feel ok towing up to 7500 lbs based on the specs but like to stay near 50% for any regular towing activities. Hence, I desire around 5000ish pounds? I think the 209 is within this weight, all within that zone. However, I would think the 222 would be pushing the 6K mark?

Bigger as in 23-24' center consoles and walkarounds. Not Gradys but I'm certain my 18' Grady on a roller trailer that I can launch with ease just about anywhere in comparison.

As far as stopping, I do make sure that my trailer brakes are working and outfit with discs. The Tundra also has really good brakes for a 1/2 ton. The rotors are quite large and they have a caliper system that applies force from inside and out with large pads.

Yes, I'm that weird guy spraying off his rotors with salt away in the parking lot at the boat ramp after launching. :) Sorry, will be off the dock in a minute...

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've towed every 22' GW makes with a variety of tow vehicles (a 5.3 Tahoe, a 6.2 Yukon, a 6.2 Silverado 1500 and now an F-150 with a 5.0)

Your Tundra will do just fine....you towed weight will be in the neighborhood of 5500-6K lbs, depending on how much fuel is in the boat at the time.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Trailer... well that's just it - you have to see what needs replacing, if anything, before making a decision. To just assume that an older trailer is not worth it would be a waste. Like I said... if it's good, it's good.

10K... yeah, you'll be fine. After that, it's what you're comfortable with. There's no reason to stay within 50% from a practical standpoint - but what you "feel" good about is all up to you.

23'/24'... still on the smaller side when it comes to trailering/launching. But that really all comes down to what you're used to and comfortable with. Longer boats are easier to backup, if that helps.

NHAngler

Reaction score
I towed a loaded 226 Seafarer with a Tacoma w/ V6 towing package easily. No problem at all...
Well here in New Hampshire we have to tow uphill both ways to and from the ocean. :)

Regarding the trailer, I guess I was just looking to clarify that is something that I will pay for to ensure a trouble free experience. Nothing like ordering and waiting for parts or the can of worms affect of opening something up. I use my boat every weekend so not a fan of tearing anything apart unless it is immediately going back together.

Cregan13

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Well here in New Hampshire we have to tow uphill both ways to and from the ocean. :)

Regarding the trailer, I guess I was just looking to clarify that is something that I will pay for to ensure a trouble free experience. Nothing like ordering and waiting for parts or the can of worms affect of opening something up. I use my boat every weekend so not a fan of tearing anything apart unless it is immediately going back together.

I towed a 222 from South of Tampa to North Carolina with my GMC Canyon without issue (from the truck at least). Your Tundra will have no problem at all.

ncprgrady

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
The Tundra will tow no problem at all. I bought my 222 from a guy that used a Tundra for towing and he said it was the best tow vehicle he ever had. I tow with a Tahoe 5.3 and it does great.