Trailering a 330 express

Collector21

Reaction score
Model
Islander
It isn't a problem, till it is a problem. Look, I am the first to stand up to people telling me I cannot tow a boat like I own because "my truck will not tow it"...when it is rated to tow it.

If your truck is weighted to tow that boat, by god you should be able to do so.

If you are towing it with a 1500 that is rated anything less than what that boat weighs, then no... I cannot agree one bit that everything is fine, sorry.. heh

Again, not trying to be mean...I had the same discussion all over the place and it irked me to no end, people telling me what I should and should not do.... do whatever ya like, not "my" call, just saying.

Based on what you stated, and the pictures... here is the math:

2019 Dodge
4x4
Hemi

There is not one single configuration on Dodge's site that gives that truck the max towing with a Hemi and 4x4 of 12,750... so, your MAX towing, if you maxed it all out and had a hemi and a 4x4, would be at best 11,400-ish

The boat: 10,840
2 engines you have? - easily 550lbs each so - 1100
Gas @ just 60 gallons weighing 420, let's round up to 500 to be safe...

Before you add anything in, before you add in water for the tank, a generator? the top, equipment.. you are at 12,440 lbs

With all due respect, whether you can pull it, is irrelevant. that is not only unsafe, it is flat out foolish. You place yourself and others in danger when you do that sort of thing, so advising others to do so is not right.

And on that note, I will let it go.

Russ
Also you forgot the weight of the trailer itself. Probably another 2000+ lbs

Reactions: RussGW270

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Again, it is not a reasonable thing to do unless you already have a 1.5 ton dual truck and a 20k pound triple axle trailer and are used to the permitting process and really know how to drive a wide load trailer..
There are a lot of rules(designed to keep us safe and keep traffic flowing) and if you think the police won't pull you over, think again.
And they will inspect the trailer and the tow vehicle and your permit and they will give you a ticket for everything they find wrong even if you have a permit.
And you will not be insured if you are not permitted.

It doesn't make sense to go thru all the expense of truck/trailer and hassle of day permits every time you roll.
For any boat wider than 8' (yea you might get away with 8'6" if you follow the rules) my advice is get a slip, hire a pro to launch/haul & block.
Its way cheaper and its easy...and your boat is already floating when you want to use it.

This is out of the NJ oversize regs...oversize is greater than 8'6" wide and/or 13'6" tall....oh, your 330 is probably over 13"6" on a trailer because my 265 is 13'1".

Width = 102’’ (or 8’6”) on the National Highway Network and the NewJersey 102’’ Truck Route Network (see NJAC 16:32); and
Width = 96’’ or 8’ on all other highways.

(c) The towing vehicle shall be a truck, truck tractor or road tractor equipped with dual wheels on the drive axle and a heavy-duty towing hitch.
(d) If the trailer or semitrailer is not more than 10 feet wide, the towing vehicle shall have a ca- pacity of 3/4 ton or more, and if the trailer or semitrailer is more than 10 feet wide, the towing vehicle capacity shall be 1 1/2 tons or more.

a few other rules...
you can only tow between sunrise and sunset
you cannot tow on a Holiday

not trying to be a bummer but just trying to get you to be realistic.
I tried to convince russGW270 to get a slip but he didn't listen;)

I listened. The differences is, my truck is rated to tow 20% more than my boat weighs.. so.. take that, ya skunk!.. lol;)

AFTER my boat is set up and ready to go and I do not have to worry about it, I may store it on the coast... but right now, I want it where I can get to it.;)

R

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Regardless of vehicle, and we all have our own opinions and comfort levels so I'm going to stay out of that debate, I will strongly recommend upgrading from the surge brake actuator to an electric over hydraulic arrangement. After two years of only hauling 10 miles twice a year when I launched/pulled for the season, I upgraded from a 1500 Suburban to a 2500 diesel and that changed the game significantly but I still felt that I was not in complete control of stopping my 265 on it's triple axle trailer. I went EOH and now the trailer brakes work in concert with my truck's brake controller and I am much more comfortable putting it on the interstate and hauling it wherever I want to go. That Toyota Corolla that suddenly pulls out in front of me when I'm doing 65 at least stands a chance now...