Trailering question

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Male sure the tires are inflated to max pressure . Typically ST tires are not rated for speeds above 65 mph. Go under 65 . Make sure your wheel bearings are greased and the brakes are not sticking or hanging up. They will induce friction and thus heat
Heat kills grease, bearings and hubs . I have trailer box with small floor jack, 3 hubs with bearings, grease, rags, cotter pins, jack stand , and then I have tools from a 1/2 inch DeWalt impact wrench, to everything to change an entire huh out. I trailer thousands of miles a year and I have had my share of fixing stuff over the years.

Proper trailer maintenance and ditching the crummy Chinese tires and buying Good Year Endurance tires has been the ticket for me. Good luck.

BobH1

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I've got to make 2 trips 1100 miles each way this year since I added a Grady to the mix. Lake Wales FL to Greenbackville VA. 14 hours driveway to driveway. Hope diesel keeps edging downward.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Hi,

All good points above...

I will add a few:

1 - Use a properly blocked belly strap in addition to the transom tie downs.
2 - Use ratcheting strap on the bow eye in addition to other straps
3 - check the condition of the trailer lights and maybe have a few extra bulbs
4 - bring a roll of duct tape in case you need or want to secure anything (like the aforementioned speakers)
5 - stop for gas long before you need it, because sometimes "easy in/out" gas stations are hard to find and you don't want to be trying to move in tight quarters
6 - make sure your ezpass has plenty of money available if you will be on toll roads
7 - have trailer towing coverage, before you embark on the trip
8 - remove any sun covers and remove/secure anything that swings, bounces, etc.

good luck

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
5 - stop for gas long before you need it, because sometimes "easy in/out" gas stations are hard to find and you don't want to be trying to move in tight quarters
He's only going 110 miles, which even if he only had 20 gallons of fuel in the tank and was only getting 6 mpg then he'd still have enough to get him back without having to stop along the way for fuel. 220 total miles roundtrip shouldn't be any issue for a pickup truck with a full fuel tank, even if he's only getting 8-10 mpg or similar.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've got to make 2 trips 1100 miles each way this year since I added a Grady to the mix. Lake Wales FL to Greenbackville VA. 14 hours driveway to driveway. Hope diesel keeps edging downward.
I'd gladly trade you that for what I had to do last October, which was a 3009 mile trek from Maryland to the Seattle area where I live, after buying my 228 Seafarer out there. This time coming back there weren't any issues and it took 4.5 days to do the trek, of which most days I put in around 600 miles or so of driving, although the second to last day I drove 850 miles. The first boat I ever purchased on my own was actually out in Maryland as well, and I drove roundtrip from Seattle to Maryland and back in 7 days. Two of the days I put in 1200 miles a day of driving and with it being spring, as well as lighter out earlier and later, you could do each leg of the trip per day. Although, that is a lot of hours driving and towing a boat behind you as well. But it can definitely be done if you started at say 6 am and drove until 9 or 9:30 pm and made minimal stops. Fortunately, I think all but maybe a couple of hours of that drive would also be during daylight hours as well. Good luck!