Trailering with canvas in place

ppaspa

Reaction score
Is it OK to trailer a 282 or any grady with the canvas in place? I assume no, but thought I’d ask. I've seen boats on trailers with the canvas in place and assumed if this would eventually lead to damage.

Renovator

Reaction score
I would think short trips across town or to the ramp would be fine but not at extended highway speeds. When I relocated my 282 from NC recently, the love bugs were thick coming through GA and that would not have been pretty on the canvas, they were plastered to the radar and top.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I agree with Renovater.

Plus, I'm not real sure the canvas is constructed to withstand the winds built up by travelling 55-65MPH on the Hi-way.
I'm sure they are built to hold up in a strong wind dockside, but think of travelling against a 20-plus mph headwind while your at past 50mph.

Then there's the sudden blast generated by passing trucks on a 2-lane road.

I had a custom cockpit cover designed to cover the helm and seating area in my 232 Gulfstream. It's perfect for transport and covering the boat when I'm away for a few hours. It's lots easier than putting up the weather canvas every time.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
At boat speeds yes, hiway no.

On the soft tops they actually have a warning sewn in for a 'never exceed speed' of 40mph (or so).

The snaps are strong but not for a 70mph gust. If one pops loose the whole thing will go, just like a hurricane.

BTW, i've been using lip-balm sticks for snaps. Works awesome. (not ecolips :wink: )

Seahunter

Reaction score
My last boat had a soft top and I put it down when trailering. My current boat has a hardtop and I don’t bother removing the canvas.

Depending on where I'm fishing that particular day it’s a 130-200 miles round trip. I just leave the front and rear canvas open and rolled up and have never had a problem.

tolbard

Reaction score
I have a 282 sailfish . I trailer the boat a fair amount and I have never had my canvas off. I just keep the snaps sanaped and the zippers tight and I have never had any proplems.

okletsfish

Reaction score
Well in the summer I keep it rolled up.Now in the winter thats a different story.We do a lot of fishing in the winter down at the CBBTwhich is a 500 mile round trip.It would almost be imposible to attach those canvas snaps at 5AM on a cold January morning.Having said that the canvas on my boat is still in very good shape.