Trailering with Eisenglass Up??

B-man

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
How many of you guys trailer with your Eisenglass curtains up?

Debating on trying it. They're a pain in the ass to set up when it's below freezing, and mine are getting old (stiffer?) anyways.

I've done it a few times for a short haul at slower speeds (55mph tops) but wondering how it will fare going down the freeway at 65-70 with a possible headwind??

My canvas on the glass seems like it would be up to par, but curious if any of you do it?

I plan on replacing them in another season or two, figured worst case scenario I get to replace them sooner if it doesn't work :)

Last edited:

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Nope. Paid good money for new curtains, not gonna happen on my boat, especially at those speeds. If cold, put in truck at ramp with heat on, install piece by piece.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Safe answer is NO.

If you have zippered vents in your front curtains you can open them during trailering to drop the wind resistance. The absolute limit would be based on the design of your specific curtains but realistically I’d still keep the speed below 65.

Road debris getting kicked up at higher speeds is another concern...

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I wouldn't do it, but if I had to, it would be at speeds no faster than 55. To me, it's better to take longer to reach the destination than to risk blowing out the eisenglass, but I don't drive fast anyway.

I'm hip to how hard it is to struggle with it, especially in cold temps, but I still wouldn't risk it.

Mr.crab

Reaction score
Tow with mine up always, but depends on what model. My Marlin has less front curtain than other models,
also made without vents.

Attachments

• 4FC64342-7215-4295-B778-FCCA02F7D40A.jpeg
    4FC64342-7215-4295-B778-FCCA02F7D40A.jpeg
    698.9 KB · Views: 22

teaklejr

Reaction score
Towed our Tigercat from Maryland to Key Largo and back with eisenglass down with zero problems. I did roll them up at one point on the way down to see if fuel economy would get better and it made no difference

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I take my fronts off, keep them in the cabin, put them on in the water after launching, side ones stay on all the time . Even going to the local boat ramp 10 minutes away. If I didn't keep the boat under cover I wouldn't leave any of them on the sun kills them here, same as in Florida.

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Such a pain to put up and put down on the Grady. I need to label mine but compared to other canvas I've owned these are MUCH more of a PITA to take down. I feel your pain. I need to take my fronts down but don't want to.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I don't trailer, but agree you are asking for trouble. Heavy debris means damage. Road dirt, dust, rocks and other crap means scratches dings and probably much less useful life. Roll up if you need to have them while trailering.

dutch45

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I pull mine with them on at about 55mph. I haven't had any issues. Mine are very tight and a real pita to setup. My front ones are getting a bit aged so that may be why im kind of lazy about taking them on/off.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Mine are very easy to put up and pull off, when I launch the buddy in the boat puts them up, aerials up anchor light up all done long before I park and walk to the pontoon. When we retrieve I drop buddy at the pontoon he reverses the trailer, I have them down long before that, no wasted time at all.
If you leave them on all the time the sun kills them and for you guys up north even the cold winters will kill them, they shrink and then they are hard to put on and take off.