Trailering with Eisenglass

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Anyone trailer with eisenglass on their boat? I just bought a brand new Freedom 235. The tonneau cover didn't make it an hour on the way home from picking up before popping some buttons and ripping. (It does say on tag not to but I was not told before I ordered it with boat.) But I trailer a lot and frequently 2 hours involving highway speeds of 65. Now, it's not something I want to do a lot as I am sure it will get filthy with bugs. But putting it up and down every single trip and finding a way to store it well, will get old quick. Curious if anyone has done it and if it is strong enough to withstand at least occasional trailering.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I occasionally will tow my 268 Islander with the enclosure up. To the marina or just a test run before traveling to FL in the winter. About 15 miles round trip at 60 MPH. Never a problem.

When I tow to FL I remove the enclosure and use the original Sunbrella tonneau cover. This cover fits tight and trailers well. I have made 17 round trips (2,600 miles each) on Route 95 at 62 MPH also without problems. Not sure what the problem was with your tonneau cover. Maybe Stamoid material, maybe not tight enough but you should have done better then you explained.

Reactions: thePearlyWhite

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I'm halfway through my 4th year with my 228. I mostly tow to Santa Cruz which is 28 miles round trip but maybe 15% of the time I tow to some other harbor, more like 60 miles round trip.

I've never taken the eisenglass down and it's 99% fine. There is one mark on it that I haven't gotten out but other than that it looks like new.

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
The only differences between towing and running the boat on water are speed and turbulence. 60+ mph can be reached with boat on water in strong headwinds etc. so there should not be a major issue, some yes but not that much. Turbulence on the other hand is a major factor. Behind the car / truck there can be a lot of "bad weather" going on.
I think you just have to find out how the enclosure should be open or closed etc when snaps are letting lose that stops a potential tear but if it rips the seams it is a bad thing not so easy to fix.
I always took all I had down that could flutter, even when trailering motorcycles the straps are getting a whipping and you can hear them both slap and whistle. Try keeping a tarp over something behind the car, not easy. I once covered my bag on MC with a cover made for it, well it was torn to pieces at the seams while fluttering.
I would take down as much as possible for longer trips. SHort runs, slow speed should be ok.

ECO

Reaction score
Website
www.pchcs.net
Model
Marlin
It's not how it held up on "a" trip, but the cumulative wear overtime, the ripping at the seams and snaps, stones striking the eisenglass. I had my Marlin trailed from VA to FL, told the hauler to remove the cover and tarp the vessel, he didn't remove it, placed a loose fitting tarp the blow off shortly into the trip. The rear panels where destroyed.

While it took six months, his insurance carrier spent nearly $6,000 replacing the cockpit cover with a very NIVE new one. Thankfully, I use a transport broker, who had copies of his insurance, as the haul tried to past off his auto insurance as cargo insurance to me.

Unless you don't mind replacing the cover early, then I would recommend stowing it, its just part of boating.

ECO

Reaction score
Website
www.pchcs.net
Model
Marlin
It's not how it held up on "a" trip, but the cumulative wear overtime, the rippling at the seams and snaps, stones striking the eisenglass. I had my Marlin trailered from VA to FL, told the hauler to remove the cover and tarp the vessel, he didn't remove it, placed a loose fitting tarp the blow off shortly into the trip. The rear panels where destroyed.

While it took six months, his insurance carrier spent nearly $6,000 replacing the cockpit cover with a very nice new one. Thankfully, I use a transport broker, who had copies of his insurance, as the haul tried to past off his auto insurance as cargo insurance to me.

Unless you don't mind replacing the cover early, then I would recommend stowing it, its just part of boating.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
For running to the ramp a few miles away, never go over 50mph, no issue keeping them up.
Running for 3 hours at 70mph, remove front curtains and leave up side curtains. I never use rear curtains. So far, seems ok. I have left up the front once or twice, but they take a beating and the bugs can destroy, leave permanent marks on them. Also was warned from A&J not to tow with them up since if a rock hit them, would possibly shatter them.
They are a pita to remove and replace, but just have to deal with it for the long tow and higher speeds. Agree with removing if exceeding speed of boat. Also, on the water, we don't have the bugs hitting like on the highway.

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I find it ok to tow with it up on multi lane highways at 60mph. On 2 lane highways meeting large trucks coming the other way, the clips become unattached letting the enclosure flap around causing rub marks on the eisenglass.