Trailering with isglass down

Gentleman Jack

Reaction score
Just bought 2007 282 and replaced the isglass (if that's how it is spelled) and was wondering how fast can it be trailered with the glass down?

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I tow my 228 with the enclosure up at our 110km speed limit here in Australia with no issues. The wind won‘t damage the enclosure but bugs, stones etc can. So for longer trips especially at night I take the enclosure down. Helps with fuel economy as well.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I tow short distances at high speeds because of where I am located, and there are plenty of bugs too. It's ok as far as structural integrity, but the bug juice permanently etched the front sections of the isinglass. Had I known, I might have cleaned it more often, but it's not too bad. This is after 5 seasons.

I know one thing for sure, I wouldn't spend the time taking removing and putting back on for 15 minute drives or less. I prefer to be out fishing instead, but to each their own.

teaklejr

Reaction score
We trailer out F-26 Tigercat from Maryland to the Florida Keys and back with eisenglass/enclosure down with no problem. I did roll it up for part of the trip thinking fuel mileage might be better but it was not. Figured I would rather keep the rain out with it down and deal with bug splatter.

Gentleman Jack

Reaction score
Thank you for all who responded. Sounds like short runs are not a problem but on a long drive there would be preservation of the glass by taking it down. Thanks again, Jim

Reactions: leeccoll