Trailing Sea

Ozz043

Reaction score
Howdy

My Marlin is a dream in anything but a trailing sea, sometimes it’s fine and others she’s tender and tends to bow steer which I find annoying. I think it’s better with the sub being full and motors trimmed out . but too much and they blow out...worse if I’ve played with the tabs at all which makes sense as they lift the stern

Anyone got similar thoughts or any tips I have not thought of....

hinmo

Reaction score
Its my 2nd season with my Marlin. I have found you need to get the bow out of the water (trimmed engines), keep her on a plane at slowest speed possible (20mph?) and she handles ok.....you dont want to get the bow caught in the trough or the next wave...you need to keep on top of the water as much as possible....I'm getting more comfortable with it......3-5 ft following chop in Buzzards Bay (daily !)

Tabs set for bow up max.

Generally, the boat is bow down, heavy forward. The only time I don't have the engines trimmed for bow up is directly into the waves.

Reactions: Ozz043

hinmo

Reaction score
I'm also wondering if the handling of the boat is different with the 4-strks on it...?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If you're getting bow steer, there's too much hull in the water. As you surmised - and as mentioned, get the bow higher. I'll add that sometimes, when coming down the wave face, you need to back off throttle a bit to let the stern squat and not plow into the next wave. Then throttle up again to climb the next wave by keeping the bow high. In certain conditions, you're going to be on/off the throttle the entire time. Other times, you may not be able to run a straight course - you may have to run like a sailboat does when into the wind.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have a Sailfish with 4 strokes and don't often have issues with a following sea - once in a while heading into a harbor channel with significant wave action I have experienced the surfing issue and as I stated I use the throttle, trim and tabs to keep the bow up and stay out of the troughs.

Ozz043

Reaction score
I still have the old two bangers on there Hinmo, yes I do try and keep the bow up and yes back off when coming down the face of swell

maybe it’s just a speed thing, I like to cruise @ 25kn in 1m sea, maybe I’ll back her off to 20-22 next trip

glad it’s not just me:cool:

Fishtales

Reaction score
Never really noticed it. I'll have to keep an eye out (next year...):(

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Standard procedure. Tabs up and engines trimmed up in following sea. If entering an Inlet you should try to keep the boat on the back of a wave so you don’t surf. All boats wallow a bit in a following sea. Avoiding bow or keel steer is important.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Following sea trim up as much as possible without the props getting air, never put tabs down on following sea, if you lean tell your deckie to move to other side.
I have a Seafarer 228 ( my second) but they are all similar , they all have variable deadrise, very sharp at the front so they cut into the waves on head sea.. I trim in when heading in to the sea and I'll use tabs if need be . I cruise at 25 kn even 30 when seas permit. If you think Gradys bow steer have a go driving a cat in following sea, they are horrible but great into the sea. Everything is a compromise . I love mine into the sea and following, best ridding 22 footer I ever been in .