Transduce compatibility

tbyrne

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My dad just gave me a Garmin 420 S GPS/Depth Finder Combo for my birthday. Unfortunately he bought it without the transducer. I currently have a humminbird depth finder and I believe the transducer is an in hull type since it is not visible on the transom or hull. I plan to check all of this out when I get over to the boat, but the question is, Are transducers interchangeable ?

It would be great to be able to use the existing transducer but if the connectors are different it may not be compatible.

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on this.

Thanks

T

LI Grady

Reaction score
Yes, No and maybe.

From what I understand most transducers are made by Airmar (not sure of the spelling) so with the use of an adapter they should be capatable.

I'd check with Airmar for background and because you never know when you'll get lucky but figure on tracking down a good, local marine electronics dealer/installer. They may be able to make the two parts "talk" to each other.

If not a tru hull transducer isn't that expensive.

D Ellefson

Reaction score
FWIW, I just replaced my Garmin 235s with a 545s and the transducer plugged right in to the pigtail on the Garmin cord. My transducer is an Airmar thru hull, dual frequency, temp and speed unit. I had placed a call to Garmin (30 minute hold) prior to the install and found them to be helpful. I hope you have the same luck.

tbyrne

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks

Don`t know if the current cable or connection is specific to humminbird or generic. Could be an easy hook-up

I`ll probably get a chance to check it out later this week. Hopefully, it matches up.

I also went to the Airmar site. Very helpful and a lot of good information.

T