Transducer Help Please

Lsquared

Reaction score
model 2005 282 and has the flat spot for transducer mounting on the starboard side. I have an older Raymarine transducer i need to replace since it is no longer in use as I have Lowrance. I believe it to be a two inch hole and has the faring block. i want to replace this with hopefully a 1kw. should I replace it with one that has a fairing block or replace it with one that is surface mounted.. I've seen both here be mounted but not necessarily in the spot i was going to mount it. see attached.

Attachments

• transducer.jpg
    transducer.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 45

seasick

Reaction score
The aim is to have the transducer radiate at the correct angle. You would select a ducer based on the angle of the hull where it will be mounted so that it 'shines' perpendicular to the sea floor. . So with the correct transducer, you wouldn't need a faring or wedge block You do wan the ducer relatively close to the keel line. It is hard to tell where yours is.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
If the transducer is still functional and the frequency/power matches your new fishfinder you might be able to get an adapter for it and reuse the transducer.

If you’re upgrading to a new transducer then you could find a similar dimensioned Airmar thru-hull unit with the specs (cone angle and frequency) you’re looking for.

Gil at Semperfifishing can help you out with selection.

Lsquared

Reaction score
Let me reword the question. I have a transducer picked out. I am going to install it in the same place as the one pictured. It is on the flat spot on the hull. The model transducer i picked out can be flushed mount or have the faring block. My concern is if i pick the flush mount and put it in the flat spot will i loose bottom lock at higher speeds

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Sunfish, and I would guess others, came with a flat spot and a transducer from the factory. I may remove mine next year. Seems an ancient design.

/Edit - attached picture - this one has been dead for a long time I would guess, but the work involved in patching the hole was more than I wanted to do this year. There is a twin flat on the opposite side of the hull as well.

transducer.jpg

Last edited:

Lsquared

Reaction score
The faring block mounting area talked about in other threads.

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
What your referring to is the transducer pad. There's one on stb and port in the bilge.

The biggest transducer you can realistically fit in that area is a 600w. You are not getting a1kw transducer to sit flush and properly in that area. You will have to use a different location with a fairing block.

Kahl23

Reaction score
We've got a 2002 282 Sailfish and we replaced the transducer two seasons ago. One of the problems with the flat mounts for the transducers that Grady put into the hull of the 282 is they disrupt the flow of water over the bottom of the hull. I don't know about you, but for us, we could never hold the bottom over ~18 knots. The electronics guy at our boatyard has developed a solution: install a fairing block, then use fiberglass reinforced filler to bring the rest of the area flush and smooth with the surrounding hull. Since the fairing block has a pocket for the transducer built into it, we still have a way to replace it in the future if necessary.

We can now hold bottom to around 32 knots, plus we got about 0.5kts added to the top speed!

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That's a great idea. I wanted to fill mine in like that patch before I bottom painted, but that was not high enough priority to get done. Maybe next winter. For some reason I really dislike the idea of those flats.