Transducer Leaking

Desperado

Reaction score
I have a leak around my transducer (mounted on the transducer flat). Any ideas on how to repair (what epoxy, etc.). If anyone has done this before I would certainly appreciate the help.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It's leaking into the bilge? If so, get the boat on land (haul/trailer), remove transducer, clean hull and transducer, reseal with 3M 4000 or 4200 let it firm up and splach the boat. Let it fully cure before running the boat though.

richie rich

Reaction score
if the transom is wet, you have to dry out the screw holes or the 4200 won't bond very well.....if the wood is soaked, ie, its been like this for a while, you'll need to drill it out to a bigger size and epoxy the hole, the redrill to the right size and use 4200 to bed the screws.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I assumed it was a thru-hull model, is it?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I bet no sealant was used, how pathetic.

Is the hull cored there, if so, better get to it soon, the balsa luvs sucking back the water.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Mine wasn't cored below the water-line.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
One hint I read somewhere when you are nearly finished, is not to tighten up the transducer nut all the way .Leave a couple of turns. Wait 24 hours until the sealant has cured a bit and then tighten. This way you don't squeeze out all of the sealant. Also the sealant will have some give and allow you to get a tight nut.

Desperado

Reaction score
I pulled the transducer out and resealed it this past weekend. It turned out to be a bigger job than I thought. I had to pull out the back inspection plate for better access, and had to buy a huge wrench to fit the nut. The hull is not cored there so no damage was done. I hope to test out the new installation this coming weekend. Thanks for all the tips!