Transducer Mounting

Fishtales

Reaction score
For folks that have the newer technology sonar with the large and heavy transducers, where do you mount them on you Grady?
I have a shoot thru 1KW ducer that is in a box bonded to the inside of the hull. The new ducers are massive. Do they mount on the hull flats or do they go elsewhere? A pic or two would be nice to see.

UCPA111

Reaction score
I mounted mine on centerline. Rear of transducer is ~11" from stern of the boat. I do have a bracket so my motor is back a ways....

Attachments

• transducer location copy.jpg
    transducer location copy.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 94

Ramblin Reck

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I bought a 3'x3" white plastic pad on the internet that has a 3M piece of Tape that sticks onto the hull. I have a new side scan etc Garmin long transducer and it works perfectly No screws in the transom under the water line. This is totally different, although the white piece looks similar without holes of the part that is epoxyed onto the hull/ This piece of tape just peels off and you stick where you want it. easy peasy www.SeaWorthyInnovations.Com Transducer pad held on the Hull with 3M Tabe  Swcond pad was but on intially but bubbles from ...jpg

Last edited:

Ramblin Reck

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
For folks that have the newer technology sonar with the large and heavy transducers, where do you mount them on you Grady?
I have a shoot thru 1KW ducer that is in a box bonded to the inside of the hull. The new ducers are massive. Do they mount on the hull flats or do they go elsewhere? A pic or two would be nice to see.
NO HOLE IN THE TRANSOM! This block of Plastic? is attached to the transom with tape made by 3M Company. Been there for 8 months! No problem. Had to buy a second one as the first on which you can see to the right would not allow the tranducer to read at full throttle. This is a 1988 228G Seafarer. Works perfect in second location and very little danger of being knocked off! Go toTransducer pad held on the Hull with 3M Tabe  Swcond pad was but on intially but bubbles from ...jpg SeaWorthyInnovations.Com Uses 3M VHB Tape

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It's interesting to these stick on mounts and I hope they work out (long term) for those that are using them. Personally, I still have reservations - aside from the "stick-on" debate, the screws that you end having to use are short and don't get a whole lot of bite - plus, the HDPE probably isn't best for "holding" screws long term.

Holes in transom... no big deal. Done right, there will NEVER be any water intrusion. I've literally installed hundreds of screws below the waterline over the past 30+ years and have yet to have a problem.

Reck, aside from that original placement being bad because it's so close to the bunks (on a cradle?), what do you suppose caused the inaccurate reading? Was it not installed low enough... or is there something further forward in the hull that wasn't taken into account that caused turbulence (strake, thru-hull, etc)? The location on the transom, in and of itself, is fine.

Ramblin Reck

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It's interesting to these stick on mounts and I hope they work out (long term) for those that are using them. Personally, I still have reservations - aside from the "stick-on" debate, the screws that you end having to use are short and don't get a whole lot of bite - plus, the HDPE probably isn't best for "holding" screws long term.

Holes in transom... no big deal. Done right, there will NEVER be any water intrusion. I've literally installed hundreds of screws below the waterline over the past 30+ years and have yet to have a problem.

Reck, aside from that original placement being bad because it's so close to the bunks (on a cradle?), what do you suppose caused the inaccurate reading? Was it not installed low enough... or is there something further forward in the hull that wasn't taken into account that caused turbulence (strake, thru-hull, etc)? The location on the transom, in and of itself, is fine.
Dennis
The first mount which is shown and had to be abandoned was due a chine built into the hull of the boat which did not go all of the way to the transom. In fact it stopped abruptly at about 8' back from the bow and created bubbles when on plane that interfered with the readout of the bottom. This hull was changed by Grady White in the early 90's. I have no problems whatsoever with the readout now at any speed. I think that this one is some what easier to install on the transom versus the one that uses epoxy. 3M does sell this tapein various widths so if it does let go in the future, I say no big deal. And if placed properly there is very little drag caused by the transducer.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
NO HOLE IN THE TRANSOM! This block of Plastic? is attached to the transom with tape made by 3M Company. Been there for 8 months! No problem. Had to buy a second one as the first on which you can see to the right would not allow the tranducer to read at full throttle. This is a 1988 228G Seafarer. Works perfect in second location and very little danger of being knocked off! Go to SeaWorthyInnovations.Com Uses 3M VHB Tape
yup. "Stern Pad" not to be confused with "Stern Saver" or "Stern Mate"

I have a full season (in water) 1500 miles or so of hard fishing ... Thumbs Up!
Same Garmin side vu transducer. same spot. Even added a cheap underwater light above the xducer.

Reactions: Ramblin Reck

Ramblin Reck

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
yup. "Stern Pad" not to be confused with "Stern Saver" or "Stern Mate"

I have a full season (in water) 1500 miles or so of hard fishing ... Thumbs Up!
Same Garmin side vu transducer. same spot. Even added a cheap underwater light above the xducer.
Thank you! You have given me a brilliant idea. I plan to make use of my "extra" pad on the transom to put in a cheap underwater light for my amusement. Drilling a hole in the bottom of your boat to put in a light has to be close to insanity. The probability of it sinking your boat is huge! This solves that problem completely. Thank you so MUCH and one can do this even with one pad that holds the transducer. Brilliant!

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Thank you! You have given me a brilliant idea. I plan to make use of my "extra" pad on the transom to put in a cheap underwater light for my amusement. Drilling a hole in the bottom of your boat to put in a light has to be close to insanity. The probability of it sinking your boat is huge! This solves that problem completely. Thank you so MUCH and one can do this even with one pad that holds the transducer. Brilliant!
these were cheap but they still work
led lights

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
was due a chine built into the hull of the boat which did not go all of the way to the transom. In fact it stopped abruptly at about 8' back from the bow and created bubbles when on plane that interfered with the readout of the bottom.
It's amazing how much turbulence a strake can throw - even from a distance away.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Brand source ? Thanks again.
The link he gave you has that info. Never heard of the brand, though. But if it works, it works.

FYI, you don't drill big holes for underwater lights - they're all pretty much surface mount, anymore. Meaning, even without a stern pad, it's easy peasy.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
One thing to keep in mind with underwater lights... if you're in murky water they're pretty much useless. All you'll end up illuminating is a few square feet of murkiness.

Ramblin Reck

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It's amazing how much turbulence a strake can throw - even from a distance away.
Exactly! On the hill looking from the bow rearward one could just Visualize the bubbles flowing toward the stern. And sonar cannot penetrate air! Thanks.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
And sonar cannot penetrate air!
Actually, that's a misconception. Sonar travels through air just fine (it's just sound waves). Listen closely - with most transducers you can hear it "clicking"... that's the sound being emitted. The problem is it goes too fast and the "brain" doesn't know how to interpret it.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
One thing to keep in mind with underwater lights... if you're in murky water they're pretty much useless. All you'll end up illuminating is a few square feet of murkiness.

Even when muddy water they still draw bait and striped bass. In fact, we catch better when its not clear...