Transducer Paint

glemboh

Reaction score
Does anyone have a magic potion for transducer paint ? I leave my boat in the water eight months out of the year and have been experiencing a build up of growth on the transducer that affects the operation. This started happening after they modified the paint ingredients. Appreciate all suggestions

dan313

Reaction score
My boat is in the water from April to Nov. I painted my transducer with bottom paint, and it was as clean as the day it went in. And it always worked without a problem.

Hope this helps.

Lenny

glemboh

Reaction score
Lenny,

I had spoken with Garmin about this in the past. They indicated there would be some degrading of the signal if the bottom of the transducer was painted with bottom paint. Their response had something to do with the copper in the paint screwing with the signal. However, they did not have any recommendation other than using the paint specifically made for it. Thanks for sharing your view.

seasick

Reaction score
There are brush on transducers paints that come in a small bottle. I used it last year and it works very well in stopping barnacles. I didn't piant the bottom of the transom transducer and that was the only place where barnackles stuck Based on comments from other boaters, I am going to paint the entire unit this year. I do not recommend bottom paint. It might disolve some plastics and yes, the copper can be an issue.
When I get a chance, I will post the name of the paint I used. I have to dig it out of storage.

NautiBuoys

Reaction score
MDR makes a paint specifically for transducers. West Marine and others sell it. Supposedly, it won't melt or ruin the plastic. Used it last year on my new Airmar/Furuno transducer and it failed miserably. This year I will use regular ablative paint since I have that MDR already on it as hopefully a barrier coat.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I used the MDR also (small white bottle) and it sucked. Compromised the performance of the sonar.

seasick

Reaction score
I checked the bottle and it is MDR. After the season when I pulled the boat, the transducer and bracket were slimy but not a barnacle except where I didn't apply the paint. The previous season without it, I had barnacles all over the unit.
I don't know why it doesn't work for some, but it worked great for me.

glemboh

Reaction score
I also used the MDR from West Marine this year and had poor results. When I start getting growth on the unit, I loose the signal that I assume is happening because it will now create water swirl and bubbles as you move through the water.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
When I contacted Raymarine some time ago for a transom transducer, they had no problem with Interlux Micron.
Now that I have an in-hull transducer, it still sees through the same bottom paint, as any in-hull transducer would.

The concern was possible degradation of the plastic material of the transducer with contact with the paint, which Raymarine said no problem, as I recall.

glemboh

Reaction score
Thanks to all for your input. Based on Lenny and Bob`s input, Looks like bottom paint will not be an issue. I`m going to give it a shot this season.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Alternatively you could get one of the stainless transom brackets that allow you to move the transducer up and out of the water and then slide it back down when you're going out.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Desitin (the diaper rash ointment) has worked well for me. It stayed on all season on the trim tabs, and kept all the growth off.

seasick

Reaction score
OnoEric said:
Desitin (the diaper rash ointment) has worked well for me. It stayed on all season on the trim tabs, and kept all the growth off.

I mentioned this post to my wife who usually hears "blah blah blah' when I talk about things like bottom paint.
I said, who would think of such a ting and she replied " It's zinc oxide isn't it?"
So does it really work??

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I would think if you use vaseline it wil work, or any grease, or grease like material that will not wash off.

glemboh

Reaction score
My wife had the same response when I told her about the Desitin, since we had so much experience with it years ago. I guess we need to consult them before asking for help on this site ! The transom idea sounds interesting, however I have twin motors and a full transom swim platform. Again, thanks to all for your responses.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Yep, it's the zinc oxide in the Desitin that is the anti-fouling component. It worked well for us. We didn't get any growth over a 4 week stretch. Though I did a Google search on it, and it seems the general consensus is it works well, but comes off too easily. Maybe we just lucked out, but it stuck well to our trim tabs.