Transducer placement 282 Sailfish

Ling king

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Getting ready to install the Furuno TZ touch3 and want to install a through hull transducer. Where is the best location? Transducer - SS260 DFF3D
Thanks

Ling king

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ok, lots of eyes and no answers o_O. I did some searching and realized the 282 Sailfish has two flat tranducer areas. Very accessible. Has anyone installed it with or without the fairing block?

Thanks in advance

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I currently have a b765 in that transducer flat in the bilge with no fairing. It works pretty good. It's funny because my old b744 in the exact same spot was great at holding bottom, but the newer B765 onyl holds to about 30mph ish., Even tho its a direct fit replacement. Just make sure the transducer is small enough to fit because the hull bottom portion is on a slight curve with less surface area that what you see inside the bilge.

Lsquared

Reaction score
Have an old 744 i am replacinng. With. 785. Both have the fairing block

Kahl23

Reaction score

Ling king

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I'm installing the "Furuno SS260 Multi-beam combo transducer".

A portion of the flat area has a slight curve with less surface area. Does the fairing block fit. Or does it have to get contoured to the shape of the curve for it to fit.

Just bought my boat Sailfish 282 from Cape Coral had it shipped to Los Angeles. Amazing boat. Can't wait for my electronics to arrive this week.

Thanks

Lsquared

Reaction score
what made you pick that transducer? SS is typically used for metal hulls while bronze s for fiberglass. Not sure of the specs or for that unit. Having mine installed next week

Capnjim7

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I went through the same thing a few months back... I've got an 05 282. I just self installed a 1 KW 175B HW 20 degree offset. Its the bronze flush mount.. The 05 has a rear port compartment that is L shaped with a drop in removable bait bin. When you lift it out and look straight down I mounted the ducer as far towards the bow and far towards starboard as possible against those two adjoining bulkhead and stringers. (Left room to place nut over the unit) By removing the battery control panel box I could reach in and tighten the large single nut (with homemade wooden wrench for one hand operation) while a friend held the ducer in position down below. I do a lot of bottom fishing in 200-300 feet max. The resolution and definition is extraordinary on my NSS12 Simrad monitor. I avoided a unit use a fairing block on this boat due to the boat lift and trailering bunks. But in your case that ducer may only be available in fairing format. If so you might be able to mount it under the compartment behind the birth. The key to the location is staying in as turbulent free an area as you can on the hull. Don't want anything ahead of the ducer as intakes etc. There is a guy Named Travis on "the hull truth" Semper Fi electronics. He was the most knowledgeable about which transducers were best for my unit and needs and he nailed it. I also called Grady and Simrad who both gave me some good feedback. So you might try Furuno as well. Additionally, I'm almost certain your fairing block will be much longer than the flat transducer mounting indents on the 282 aft hull..

Last edited:

Ling king

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
This transducer was only available in SS. It's a combination transducer. Fishing the west coast. Sometimes in 25', 100' or 300' deep. I also want to go in to 1500' deep for swordfish.

Capnjim, I think the the transducer without the faring block will fit in the mounting indents. My concern is do you think its going to get much turbulence from the small cavity in the beginning of the mounting area?

This is the system I'm installing:
Furuno NavPilot 300 Autopilot w/ PG700
Furuno DFF3D Digital 3D Fishfinder Box
(2)Furuno TZtouch-3 12",
Furuno DRS4D-NXT 24", 25w Solid State Radome DRS4D-NXT,
Icom M506 Fixed Mount NMEA 2000 & AIS VHF Radio

Here is the description of the transducer.

Perfect Transducer for larger inboard and inboard/outboard vessels. Get both DFF3D technology and traditional sonar in one transducer. Includes fairing block for installation on inboard vessels and a built-in temp sensor provides accurate water temperature.

165T-50/200-SS260 Standard Features
  • Stainless Thru Hull with high speed fairing block
  • Can be flush mounted in keel without using fairing block
  • DFF3D Elements (165khz)
  • Built-in motion sensor
  • 1kW, 50/200 kHz, 20/6 ° beam angles for sounder elements. Same elements as an Airmar B164 transducer
  • 12M Cables with 10-Pin Connector for sounder, 7 pin connector and a pigtail cable for the DFF3D
  • Recommended for a TZtouch2 or a TZtouch/DFF1, and DFF3D installation
  • Built in temp sensor
Can't wait to get it back on the water. And check out the new toys.

Capnjim7

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Well.. based on the description it sure sounds like the fairing block is not required. IMHO The mounting pads in themselves should not produce turbulence. if the puck fits then the only thing you need to check is the location of the bronze livewell and saltwater washdown intakes. As long as they are not forward of the puck you should be gold. You might call your local Grady installer (or even an out of state one) and ask a final opinion of a seasoned installer. Keep us posted on the install...