Transducer question? on 282 Sailfish Also VHF Question?

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have been told that to install a tilted element transducer I need to move either my SW washdown or livewell pickup strainer back to make room. I looked at another 282 on land at Spellmans and there was a tilted element mounted outboard of the inside stringer between the stringer and transducer flat.

Has anyone else used this spot? And how well does it work? I would rather not have to move anything already there.

And my second question is, I'm looking for another VHF Radio. I presently have a Raymarine 54 which works fine but has an old MMSI #. I called Raymarine and asked the price to get it removed. They said between 45 and 90 dollars. Well, add shipping both ways and it's 110.00 approx. For a few dollars more I'm thinking of buying a new radio and making the Raymarine a backup. I'm looking at the Standard Horizon GX3000S. It has a lot of features and I've read some reviews and Standard got great reviews. It also has a hailer / Fog horn mode. Don't care much about the hailer but fog horn is really nice. I was once in a situation that the fog horn kept us from getting hit by a much larger vessel that didn't care about the fog. Does anyone have this radio or know much about Standard. Their warrenty is pretty good too. 3 years un conditional then a fixed rate after that to the original owner.

If anyone can help with either question I'd be happy to listen.

Thanks, Bob

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I highly recommend the Icom 504 VHF. Also get a good antenna (Shakespear Galaxy or Digital 529). The difference is significant. I can routinely hear the USCG from Hatteras and Charleston off Wrightsville Beach. I also converse with boats up to 30 nm away.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Icom's are good radios; I've had them on previous boats, and they have never failed. Having said that, I personally prefer the S/H now, and have a pair of GX3000S, and 2 Digital (brand) VHF antennas. I am VERY pleased with the Standard-Horizon equipment, and although I have not needed their service, I understamd that they have excellent customer service. So check them both out, and buy the one that you like better.

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks on the VHF Advice.

I'm going to order the S/H 3000 S and I already have the Digital antenna. That was the first thing I installed on the boat. I'm thinking I should just buy Capt Bill's boat. I'm copying everything on it. :) I went on the BOE website and I'm placing an order from them. Thanks for the info on the BOE site as well.

Now, I just need to figure out the best transducer location. :?:

Bob

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Re: Thanks on the VHF Advice.

Bob Coco said:
I'm thinking I should just buy Capt Bill's boat. I'm copying everything on it. :) Bob

Ok, sounds good to me. Then for sure I'll be gettin' a Marlin. :D

Oh, and BTW Bob, I also installed, only about a month ago, a pair of these
http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/aphidepaspp1.html
in white, under the gunnels. They fit nicely, and sound fantastic.

saltypup

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Anyone have any reviews on the cell phone amplifiers or the digital trifecta antennas.

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just ordered the Standard Horizon GX 3000S and a second GPS antenna and a tilted element transducer. . Redundancy Redundancy Redundancy :wink:

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Without knowing the placement of your raw water inlets. I would say their position is possibly not as critical as the transducer ......so how about using the most appropriate positioned one for your transducer hole and then moving the inlet to wherever it suits, obviously not in front of the trannie.

I did this on a previous boat that had an inside trannie and I wanted to try a thru hull so I used an old sumlog aperture . It wasn't the ideal spot but at least i didn't have to make another hole. As it was halfway up from the keel it would be out of the water on plane . However it worked beautifully at trolling speeds.

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
jekyl said:
Without knowing the placement of your raw water inlets. I would say their position is possibly not as critical as the transducer ......so how about using the most appropriate positioned one for your transducer hole and then moving the inlet to wherever it suits, obviously not in front of the trannie.

I did this on a previous boat that had an inside trannie and I wanted to try a thru hull so I used an old sumlog aperture . It wasn't the ideal spot but at least i didn't have to make another hole. As it was halfway up from the keel it would be out of the water on plane . However it worked beautifully at trolling speeds.

I looked at a few 282's out of the water and found a good location to mount the tilted element. Now is a great time to look at other boats. They are all on land for the winter. I ordered the unit as well as a bunch more stuff to make my boat safer for next season. Thanks for the advise though.

Bob