Transducer question

Whazzup

Reaction score
I have a Garmin GT41-TM down view side view 500 w traditional sonar and the imaging seems degraded. I am, of course, Neto much of this. The boat is wet-slipped and bottom painted. Ive Seen the screens from other boats and it seems better detail. I don’t know what they Have other than Garmin. So my question is: is the image from the sonar degraded by growth obscuring the sonar or do I have a low or mid range transducer?

thanks.

Whazzup

Reaction score
The screen is a Garmin GPSMAP 1242 xsv
I feel like the image is degraded. But I can’t recall. The boat is wet slipped during the season and dry over the winter. I had it cleaned and bottom painted. I never saw it on the set so I don’t know what the transducer looked like before it splashed

Reactions: Triton2300

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Well... jump in the water and look/feel to see if it's fouled? :)

Was the ducer painted with anti-fouling paint? What kind? If you have a plastic transducer, only water-based paint should be used.

seasick

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. The issue is not just water based paints being used but copper based paints. I as do many folks, paint my ducer with MDR because if I don't it grows slime and barnacles rather quickly.
Non water based paints can dissolve the transducer's surfaces. Hopefully that is not the case. If you are lucky, the ducer may have just been moved out of allignment.
As Dennis said, time for a dip to check. Take along a not too abrasive scrubbie to clean the ducer if it has slime on it.

seasick

Reaction score
According to the compatibility chart, your transducer is not recommended or compatible with the GSMAP XS series. I don't know exactly what that means. I would assume that simple sonar would work but not other features like chirp or sidescan

Whazzup

Reaction score
According to the compatibility chart, your transducer is not recommended or compatible with the GSMAP XS series. I don't know exactly what that means. I would assume that simple sonar would work but not other features like chirp or sidescan

It was installed by a reputable dealer so I would hope that they would have picked compatible equipment

Whazzup

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. The issue is not just water based paints being used but copper based paints. I as do many folks, paint my ducer with MDR because if I don't it grows slime and barnacles rather quickly.
Non water based paints can dissolve the transducer's surfaces. Hopefully that is not the case. If you are lucky, the ducer may have just been moved out of allignment.
As Dennis said, time for a dip to check. Take along a not too abrasive scrubbie to clean the ducer if it has slime on it.

So I can scrub it with one of my boat brushes? The one I use for the gel coat should be soft enough.

I think I may bring it to marina and have the midsummer haul out and wash and look at it myself, and with them

seasick

Reaction score
If it is fouled, the fouling may be tougher than something that a soft brush would remove. That depends to a large extent on where the boat was slipped and how long it was slipped assuming the transducer was not treated with the proper anti-fouling coating. If you take a dip as we say and look/feel the bottom of the transducer you may be able to tell if it is fouled. Note that is it has barnacles, they can cause serious skin abrasions and skin infections so go gently. Also if it has barnacles, they will most likely not scrub off easily. It may take stronger chemicals or mechanical force ( scraping).
Let us know what you find.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have the GT51-TM which according to the Garmin compatibility charts I found, is the "recommended" transducer for the 1242xsv. The GT-41 is compatible though. What frequency are you selecting on the side view? The higher 455 khz will provide more detail in my experience than the 260 khz. Mounting angle is also very critical with those TM transducers. I chose the Stern Mate mounting system that negates the need to pierce the transom surface and allows easy adjustments in three dimensions. The SternMate website has detailed discussions about mounting to various hull types and is recommended reading regardless of your mounting system. I had to adjust mine several times to get it to read detail well and am very impressed with the current picture. Make sure your sonar software is the latest version, 20.00 for the 1242xsv I believe. Easy to update via an SD card. Mine is mounted to starboard and I tilt the motor up to improve the picture to port. My opinion is that mounting angle, depth, and location on the transom is key to a good result. I can get good sideview up to about 15 knots and downview to about 25-30 knots. Your transducer may have been moved slightly and that alone could be significant. Good Luck!

seasick

Reaction score
I have the GT51-TM which according to the Garmin compatibility charts I found, is the "recommended" transducer for the 1242xsv. The GT-41 is compatible though. What frequency are you selecting on the side view? The higher 455 khz will provide more detail in my experience than the 260 khz. Mounting angle is also very critical with those TM transducers. I chose the Stern Mate mounting system that negates the need to pierce the transom surface and allows easy adjustments in three dimensions. The SternMate website has detailed discussions about mounting to various hull types and is recommended reading regardless of your mounting system. I had to adjust mine several times to get it to read detail well and am very impressed with the current picture. Make sure your sonar software is the latest version, 20.00 for the 1242xsv I believe. Easy to update via an SD card. Mine is mounted to starboard and I tilt the motor up to improve the picture to port. My opinion is that mounting angle, depth, and location on the transom is key to a good result. I can get good sideview up to about 15 knots and downview to about 25-30 knots. Your transducer may have been moved slightly and that alone could be significant. Good Luck!

My bad!!
Somehow I read the wrong line in the compatibility doc. Yes, the 41TM is compatible. Sorry for the bum info:(

Whazzup

Reaction score
So now that boat is on land the transducer has a bunch of white blotches on it. I assume that is (or was ) barnacles. What specific chemicals or process can clean the surface so I get clearer images next year

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I had this problem a while back.....I soaked the ducer in a vinegar solution which cleaned it up considerably. I run a 24 Offshore and the transducer is transom mounted. Nothing would keep the growth off it so a buddy configured a mount which enabled me to lift the ducer out of the water when not in use....problem solved.

seasick

Reaction score
I paint my transducers with a product called MDR Transducer paint. It works pretty well, sometimes I get a few barnacles over the season. The trick is that you have to clean the ducer well and apply a minimum of 2 coats, three coats are better.
The idea of a bracket that allows the ducer to be lifted out of the water is interesting but I am 100% certain that I would forget to either lift it or lower it occasionally:)

Reactions: Uncle Joe

Whazzup

Reaction score
This is what it looks like. The bottom part, the lens, is also covered in this same, white, blotchy stuff. She has been bottom painted and looks like she's ready to go back in so I need to move quickly if I am to clean it up. I assume this is the reason for the impaired image quality.

Attachments

• IMG_0708.jpeg
    IMG_0708.jpeg
    359.8 KB · Views: 2

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
yep you need to scrape it...CAREFULLY! Vinegar can help soften it up. Use a brand new 1" putty knife or the back side of a razor knife blade.
After scraping you could VERY Lightly use a scrubby with vinegar
The key here is don't take plastic. Practice on the top where it won't do too much damage and get a knack for it.

Paint with transducer paint

Reactions: Whazzup

Whazzup

Reaction score
I had the marina do it for me - they cleaned and painted. Nominal cost. Appreciate all the help!

seasick

Reaction score
The bottom surface of the transducer is the section that needs to be clean. The barnacles in the picture on the top don't mess up the signal although that may cause some water turbulence.
With respect to cleaning, I sometimes use wet/dry sandpaper, say 300 grit to clear off the growth. Avoid anything with petroleum distillates.
Then as mentioned, three coats of MDR.