Transducer???

James

Reaction score
Re-rigging my new (to me) 24' Offshore. I need a new fish finder. I plan on putting in an integrated/expandable system. My question is, which type transducer will give the best picture/service and what are the strengths and weaknesses of the various types? Finding fish and structure is of the utmost importance.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

James

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would go with a 1kw dual-frequency thru-hull transducer. You'll get the best picture with this setup. A shoot-thru will keep you from cutting holes in the hull but you won't get the water temps without adding a sensor and that will require a hole. There's also discussion about loss of detail using this type transducer. A transom mount is your last option and that requires attaching to the rear of the boat and the possiblity of water getting into the transom if not properly sealed.

I wouldn't cut corners on the transducer as this is the "eyes" for what's below. Most are produced by Airmar and will have specific connectors for the brand of FF you select.

seasick

Reaction score
James said:
Re-rigging my new (to me) 24' Offshore. I need a new fish finder. I plan on putting in an integrated/expandable system. My question is, which type transducer will give the best picture/service and what are the strengths and weaknesses of the various types? Finding fish and structure is of the utmost importance.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

James
While it is generally true that thru hulls work best, a lot has to do with the installation. Hopefully, owners of your make boat can comment on their experiences, especially relating to the position of the unit. An Airmar can cost $800 and up plus the cost of installation. Note that if you trailer your boat, you have to take the location of the transducer into account also.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You're totally correct Seasick...the location needs to be right. You could always get the recommended location from your Grady White dealer or GW customer service.

richie rich

Reaction score
don't most of these thru hull tranducers need a fairing block installed in the hull? I saw someone installing a monster of a wedge shaped fairing block last year for this exact purpose...almost made me glad I went with a transom mount, but I don't know how much of a pain that was to put in.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
don't most of these thru hull tranducers need a fairing block installed in the hull?

The Airmar B164 is a 1kw tilted element transducer that doesn't require the fairing block. I think it's the only 1kw model that doesn't.

seasick

Reaction score
Strikezone said:
don't most of these thru hull tranducers need a fairing block installed in the hull?

The Airmar B164 is a 1kw tilted element transducer that doesn't require the fairing block. I think it's the only 1kw model that doesn't.

It's a beautiful thing... Very small profile and relatively easy installation.
You need to select the model based on deadrise and sonar manufacturer.