transducers for furuno 585 on a 265

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I currently have a 1kw bronze in hull transducer without the high speed fairing block and it doesn't read at planing speeds. Whilst dissapointed that it doesn't read at speed and not being able to retro fit the fairing block I am very happy with the picture at trolling speeds on the navnet 2.For trolling big dead baits and marking fish it is superb.
I am now also fitting a Furuno 585 specifically for detecting bottom at cruising speeds.As you are all aware there are many choices of transducer and i want to get it right this time......... I have previuosly run a 600w transom mount on a raymarine df600 i think?(this is the simplest solution) The picture was good and it worked at most speeds and in most conditions. My question is what is everyone else using (transducers) and where are they located and what is the reading like at over 20 knots. Furuno/airmar have the new breed of flush mount transducers but haven't heard any real life stories yet. If anyone is running 2 systems at the same time I would also like to hear of their experiences. looking forward to lots of ideas.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had an Airmar transom mount triducer connected to a Furuno LS6100 on my other Grady, would read up to roughly 22kts if I am correct, then it would only work above that in calm to fauir conditions. I've heard some guys have had good luck with the shoot through transducers, might try asking about that . I've seen a few posts on this forum where guys have had great luck using them at speeds, but it seemed placement was key with them. This might be another option, and keeping it in the boat rather then on the transom keeps it from being hit or banged.

Kenlahr

Reaction score
Hayden,
I am going with the shoot through Airmar. I have talked to a few guys that have them and no one I have talked to with first hand experience has told me they would not do it again. These are all offshore guys, thats what sold me. A few of those were from this board maybe they will chime in also.
-
Is that 582 on its way to me?
Ken

258 Grady

Reaction score
Transducer

The problem with the in hull transducers is that you loose a lot of your power. I spoke with a Furuno rep at the boat show that specializes in transducers and he said the new units are far superior to a inhull. Try sending this guy an email and listen to what he has to say. Steve Bradburn sbradburn@furuno.com
ED