Transformation of a 175 Spirit

JeffK

Reaction score
Model
Spirit
Hi All
I'M Jeff K , I reside and enjoy fishing and cruising with my family and Grandkids in my 175 Spirit in the SE Michigan area, The 175 is a great "little" boat. Big for a 17' but still small.
having downsized from a 228 Seafarer, I found myself downsizing and compacting all the stuff and trying to find places to put it.
#1 modification was the addition of the custom rear platform over the motor that also doubles for a ski-rope attachment and adds 4 adjustable rod holders.
it also serves as a leaning post and very welcome handhold.

#2 dual batteries -- not alot of room - I utilized the space in the bow and added a compartment to hold the trolling battery on center with a hatch that serves as the storage mount for the motor, lost a little forward deck space, but a nice tradeoff

#3 Bow mount trolling motor, without modifying or removing the bow rail -- built a 2 pin mount that locks in the down position and can be swung up to the bowrail when moving positions

#4 T-Top since this boat was never designed with a t-top option. I contacted Grady to review the mounting points and they assured me that I wouldn't be drilling or fastening through any wire/hoses/or gaslines- Great People!!!!
this is the best mod as it gets all my life jackets/throwables /rain-gear off the deck. it also mounts the VHF antennae- nav lights, LED spot and spreader lights
Big Jon- planer board reels, more rod holders, shade , and a great handhold-, it is a 2 piece design that allows the upper half to be removed so it will fit in under a standard garage door for storage

I christened her Miss-Elaine-eous after my late Mom with a tribute to Dad (captain Jack) with custom graphics by Chris at Signature Vinyl Graphics /signaturevinyl.com/ Chris did a phenomenal job of re-creating the Grady font and logo style

if anyone reading this is or knows of someone in the Chesapeake Bay area that share any information on Striper fishing - times/techniques etc. I am planning a Fall or spring trip to the northern Va. area and would love to add one of these big boys to my list.
I am going to attempt to upload some Miss Elaine-ous pics to the gallery

love the site and hope I can contribute to helping other grady owners

my best regards to all
JeffK

JeffK

Reaction score
Model
Spirit
Thanks for the kind words
just finished adding a washdown system and the poling platform above the motor
just a few canvas mods to keep me out of the cool Great Lake winds and I think I can call her "DONE"

Walt1296

Reaction score
i am looking at purchasing a 94 spirit. When you open the hatch where the battery is there is a top piece of fiberglass that is separated from the stringer. The stringer does not appear to be compromised but i can put my hand between the fiberglass and the stringer all the way to the bottom of the bilge. The other side is cracked, but has not separated as bad. Have you seen any stress issue like this on yours? This has a 94 120 evenride on it.

Thanks

hypnobro

Reaction score
I just purchased a 1996 175 Spirit and I have been looking at the photos of what you have done to your boat. Its a great looking boat. May I ask if you got that t top custom made and if so where did you get it? I would want a t top but of course I would not be able to keep it in my garage. How difficult is it to put your top down? On another note do you like the reversible bench seat? Mine was replaced with a rather ugly looking galvanized leaning post. It would be great if I could find an original one. Thanks for your thoughts.

JeffK

Reaction score
Model
Spirit
hypnobro,
sorry it took so long to reply- just checked the site
thank you for you comments
yes the T-top is custom designed and built by yours truley with some help from my son,
it is held together by 4 bolts and a wire harness for the lights and antennae- the top with all the gear weighs about 50# and can be removed and installed in a couple of minutes,- if you drop the trailer tounge -it will clear a 7' garage door for inside storage.
the top nest in the front bow and drastically reduces wind resistance - 2-3 mpg for towing.

I do like the reversible bench

i feel the best addition to the boat was the poling platform above the motor- great for fishing, skiing and a good handhold.
Jeff

Reactions: ShadyGrady313

ShadyGrady313

Reaction score
Model
Spirit
Hi Jeffk. I can’t find those pics anywhere. Can you help me with a link or upload some here? Sorry I just don’t see them. I have the same boat and did many of the same improvements... batteries, t-top, few other things. I put my 2 batteries inside the center console. Not bad at all. Still has a lot of room in there. Hook me up with those pics of your table set up around the motor. Thanks in advance. Peace.

Reactions: R Dit