Transition to 275 or 285 from 225.

HomeTeam

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
Hey folks. I've got an '06 225 Tournament. Am considering moving up to a 275 or 285 Freedom. I am a Long Island Sound guy. Any thoughts on major differences in 275/285 and whether the 275 is enough boat for some of the rougher days we get here?

blynch

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Can't really speak to the differences other than that the 28 appears to get you an additional foot of beam and 1500lbs of weight. But as to the seakeeping, there are of course lots of days where your 22' will be enough for the LIS, and plenty of days where none of the 22, 27, or 28 will be enough. I doubt there are a ton of days where you'd be out there in the 28 but not the 27. It's more a matter of whether the extra space and potentially slightly more comfortable performance of the bigger hull are worth it to you for whatever the price difference is.

Reactions: HomeTeam

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Assuming you have dockage and are not towing. The old saying is there is no replacement for displacement, so go for the 285. The extra ft of beam will make the boat feel bigger and more comfortable. The extra weight and HP will make it ride better. I fish and boat in the same waters, both boats should be more then capable for the sound.

Reactions: HomeTeam

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
As mentioned above, this is a bit of an apples to oranges comparison here as you're comparing an 8'6" beam on the 275 Freedom to a 9'6" beam on the 285 Freedom, which is obviously going to be a bit different from one another. Especially with regards to if you're trying to tow the boat, which I know the 232 Gulfstream at a 9'3" beam is rather difficult in some states to tow and that you have to get a special permit to tow it? I imagine the 285 Freedom being 3" wider and the trailer probably being even wider on top of that will make it all the more difficult to tow.

tbuss

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 325
I looked at both of these options when considering moving up from my 235. There are several 275’s at my marina and for a while I had one as a slip neighbor. Being the same 8’6” beam as my boat, the hulls sides were considerably taller. It looked tall and skinny. And the increase in interior space compared to my 23’ didn’t seem as significant as the 4’ greater length would make you think. I asked my salesman about them and he said they were more prone to listing while underway. I’d go for the 285 without question, but I think the extra foot of length and beam and the two 300’s will cost over $80 grand to step up.

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
Both boats will be a significant step up in sea-keeping from your current ride (Not that there’s anything wrong with the 22. It’s a fantastic boat.). However, the beam of the 285 really changes the game and if you are looking to go out in some rougher stuff it’ll really make a difference. You might ask yourself what you are willing to go out in? For example, with the 22’ do you really only like to go out in light and variable winds or 5-10? 10-15? Everyone is different. The 27 will handle all of those but as things pick up it’ll be less comfortable. The 28 will do them all a little better. Do you want to go out in 10-20? You can easily do it in those boats (Even in the 22) and you will be more comfortable as you go up in size of course but you’ll still get knocked around a good amount in any of those boats. Do you fish a lot of people? - Then the beam of the 28 will really be noticeable. Drift fish - 28. Sand bar/ dock-hopping, skiing, cruising - The 27 will be more than adequate. All 3 are great hulls.

Rustygaff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
If you are not limited by size or budget, the 285 would be my choice. It is alot more boat than the 275. If I ever "upgrade" from my 255, it will be to the 285 since the 27 does not give me much more than what I already have.

HomeTeam

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
As mentioned above, this is a bit of an apples to oranges comparison here as you're comparing an 8'6" beam on the 275 Freedom to a 9'6" beam on the 285 Freedom, which is obviously going to be a bit different from one another. Especially with regards to if you're trying to tow the boat, which I know the 232 Gulfstream at a 9'3" beam is rather difficult in some states to tow and that you have to get a special permit to tow it? I imagine the 285 Freedom being 3" wider and the trailer probably being even wider on top of that will make it all the more difficult to tow.
Thks. I've got a slip and keep it at a marina year-round.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
You might consider a Canyon 271. I fish with a friend who has one and that is the boat that made me want to upgrade my 228 to a Marlin 300. That 271 hull is special, it's heavy, it doesn't want to launch, I've done the 53 mile ride home from point sur in 8' @ 11s, 27 knots, never touched the throttle except when he had to pee. I don't know that I could get on, and maintain plane, in my 228. He came home like it was nothing.

If you do get it, get the 300s. Never mind, I just checked, that's the only way they sell it.