Transom bang cap: replace with ss, vinyl or glass it over?

Drew61199

Reaction score
Model
Chase
I've seen several of these transom rebuild threads and mention (or pics) of an aluminum brace. What years / size boats have this? I have a 2000 Chase, so curious if mine has it. It would seem to almost eliminate total transom failure unless you just completely ignore it and it's totally rotten. I know I need to have my bangcap area addressed (started calling shops yesterday) and am in the same predicament on whether to have it fully glassed in (which would seem to lock in any current moisture) vs the new vinyl cap /4200 as the Greenwood supposedly "breathes" (and I believe 1999/2000 was the first years of this construction). I've looked in my bilge and don't see any signs of a brace, but everything is glassed, so not sure if you can spot it or not?! The good news is I don't see any signs of weepage / brown stains from motor bolt holes either, so hoping my transom work is mainly cosmetic up top as others in this thread

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Drew, you would notice the aluminum bracing if it was there. It's pretty easy to spot.

I'm not sure the "breathing" theory holds water. With a bang cap, the area under the bang cap is (should be anyways) completely sealed with caulk/sealant anyways. So even with that, it's totally sealed - in essence, the same as fully glassing it in.

Drew61199

Reaction score
Model
Chase
Keep in mind my bangcap is not removed, so is this brace behind any fiberglass or is it easily visible within bilge? I guess the more I think about it, the brace is above this area, so not sure it'd be visible at all unless it angles down and ties in somewhere to stringers?

Attachments

• PXL_20230305_223528713.jpg
    PXL_20230305_223528713.jpg
    1,010.5 KB · Views: 31

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
There's an aluminum L-channel INSIDE/UNDER the bang cap - sort of along the top edge of the transom. But what I was referring to - and what I thought you were as well - is a brace that goes from the transom down to a stringer. That would be visible inside the bilge if you have one.

Drew61199

Reaction score
Model
Chase
Okay. So the aluminum L-channel is what I was referring to. In some pics I've seen (larger 306/330 models), it seems pretty substantial - 1/2" or so thick? Is this tied in at all to the hull sides/stringers or is it simply added in addition to the Greenwood and glassed in? I guess I'm just wondering its purpose, which boat models have it, etc.

As for the 2nd brace you mentioned, no, I don't think I have that one, but I'll double check next time I'm at the boat.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
From what I know (and maybe others can confirm/deny) that L-channel is simply there at the transom to stiffen it up and keep it from bowing outwards. It's basically "inside" like the bang cap is "outside" (obviously the bang cap is not structural). My mother's '00 192 even has one. My Offshore does NOT have one but that's because it was originally a sterndrive so the full transom serves the same purpose.