Transom Bang Plate!

Nola

Reaction score
Hello -

Has anyone had to change their transom bang plate as shown in this post:

Reading other posts, it seems that the

PLATE VINYL. BANG 1 ¼” X 1 ½” X 12’.

Recommend by Grady is too small to work effectively. I currently have the old aluminum which has worn screw holes and is pulling away from transom. I’m afraid of water intrusion and wood rot.

Does anyone have a non metallic material that they’d recommend (and supplier)?

How do I verify that I do not have wood rot in transom?

Thanks!
NOLA

seasick

Reaction score
Cant comment on the first question but regarding the possibility of rot, you can detect a wet transom with a moisture meter and someone who knows how to use it. You can detect delamination using a small hammer with a plastic or preferably leather peen. The sound will change from a thud to a hollow sound if the area is delaminated. You van be pretty sure that is you detect delamination, the core is rotten.

You can look for water seepage by removing screws if present like around trim tabs, transducers, etc but a small amount of water in a small area is not the end of the world.
You can drill small holes in the transom to look for water. If done on the outside, you will need to patch and repair the gel coat. If you can access the inside, the drilled holes can be filled with something like Life Caulk or Marinetex.

The first step is the hammer test. If that doesn't show delamination, removing a few screws (not drilling new holes) is next. If that shows water, you should get a moisture test done.
Good luck.

scott1949

Reaction score
Rebuilt my transom in 2016 (268 islander -1996) and got rid of what you are calling the cheap aluminum bang plate. I called GW and they sent me a fab cap that is being used on later models that was used to cover the top of transom. Top of transom was glassed, then incorporated the cap on top of that which made it look more appealing. If they would not have sent me the cap, would have just glassed the top and be done with it. Good Luck.

Reactions: Angler Management

Fishtales

Reaction score
If it is pulling away, you likely already have water intrusion. You can remove, re-seal and re-install either plastic or aluminum.

Nola

Reaction score
Rebuilt my transom in 2016 (268 islander -1996) and got rid of what you are calling the cheap aluminum bang plate. I called GW and they sent me a fab cap that is being used on later models that was used to cover the top of transom. Top of transom was glassed, then incorporated the cap on top of that which made it look more appealing. If they would not have sent me the cap, would have just glassed the top and be done with it. Good Luck.

Did you buy cap from GW or from a dealer? Do you remember the cost of repair?

Thanks!
Nola

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I paid $72 for a 6' piece of vinyl that needed to be cut into 3 pieces to replace my aluminum bang plate when I repowered. I have some left over but not enough to do another transom.

Grady insisted that I get it through a dealer which seems to be their policy these days. It was a complete ripoff but a least the screw holes were pre-drilled.

scott1949

Reaction score
Nola, Used the company that at one time did the fiberglass repair work for the GW dealership in Kemah TX. This company broke ties because either GW or the Dealership would not pay invoices timely. I called GW and raised all kinds of hell about that aluminum angle plate on top of transom even though my year model is 1996 (My repair was done in 2016). GW graciously sent us a new top cap (one that is being used on later models) and that was installed over the already glassed transom. Kind of polished off the repair and made it look modern. There are no screw holes on the top of transom now. I fixed what I felt were other GW shortcomings on this boat, larger floor drains (Gemlux), converted the small live well located at stern into dry storage and couple other minor fixes. I tried to find the breakdown of costs but not successful. As I remember, it was in line with other quotes received but I really liked who I used because they answered all my questions and were very polite about it. By the way, I ask a lot of questions. They gave me step by step of what they were doing and why.

GW does not have the following down here in Texas like they do on the East coast, so I think that is why they just sent me the cap instead of making me go through a dealer. Also, helped GW had done business with my repair company in the past. By the way, my 268 Islander is a beast and handles our GOM like no other boat that I have owned or been a passenger. Not the fastest but it will get you there and back in comfort.