transom cap on a marlin 30

jigstrike

Reaction score
I have a 1998 marlin, and the crummy aluminum piece they used as a transom cap is getting bent, and corroded. I think I have seen somewhere on the GW forum that someone replaced theirs with a piece of stainless that covers the entire top of the transom, not just the outside edge. I cant find the thread.
I know replacing this will be a total pita, as I will need to pull the motors, but I gotta do it.
Has anyone out there done this? If so, where can I source a new transom cap.
Thanks!!

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
GW is using a vinyl bang cap now. Stainless is an option, but I opted to replace the one on my 330 with GW supplied vinyl to rule out dissimilar metal corrosion where it contacts the engine mounts. They drop shipped me a 7’ piece and I did it myself at repower. Look at new posts from baldraver this past Saturday for more discussion.

Fishtales

Reaction score
If you are taking off the engines, have the transom inspected. This is the prime area for water intrusion by design.

Reactions: Pat Hurley

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I sure wish Grady White had the guts to have one of their designing engineers put a post on here explaining their reasoning for keeping this archaic transom design for so long when other manufacturers have methods that allow for a sealed transom. It would be good reading. Especially if that person would engage in conversation with Great Grady members and answer a few questions.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
IMO if you go thru the trouble of removing motors you might as well glass over the seam.
On my 2007 330, the seam was fiber glassed over by the factory, but was not finished with gel coat

Fishtales

Reaction score
Crappy design used by low tier production boats. Sad that they didn’t change years ago. Skunk is right.

georgemjr

Reaction score
I don't know the Grady member, but I do know Raybo Marine on Long Island did the work. I also opted for the vinyl as it made it look factory newer and does the same job.

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I think when the time comes to do mine I will have it fully glassed over and documented with pictures ... then have the vinyl cap glued on so the next guy who buys it feels like everything is as factory specs should be ...(sarcasm)