Transom cracks repowered express 360

PR1986

Reaction score
Model
Express 360
Express 360 2008 just repowered with triple 300 Yamaha and just noticed some cracks on the transom. I have read about people having similar issues due to over tightening the engine screws. But one of the cracks is a bit far from the engine (see picture). Is this worrisome? Or is it the usual cracks they show when engines are over tighten that are usually just a crack of the gel coat?

Attachments

• 4C854107-9051-41F9-A1BA-4D315526E261.jpeg
    4C854107-9051-41F9-A1BA-4D315526E261.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 92600601-3CC5-4ED9-A567-B8CCEA8FC204.jpeg
    92600601-3CC5-4ED9-A567-B8CCEA8FC204.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 109

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
transom appears to have been worked on. I can't tell how extensive the work was but certainly they removed the trim that usually covers the finished seam and they glassed and gel coated it (possibly paint?).
The cracks appear to me to be in the filler that is used to fair (smooth out) the finished surface.

When I did a transom project and covered that seam I used several layers of glass cloth and the thickness of the glass was noticeable, like a frame.
It is possible that they did not glass over the seam but just filled it. That would be a recipe for cracks like that.
It is possible that they glassed over the seam and faired it so that it was not noticeable and the crack is in the fairing material at the edge of the glass.

That would mean they are superficial cracks but they need to be addressed so that water does not get in.
Certainly they need to be sanded down to the underlying structure.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I agree. that transom has been worked. there should be small plastic pieces in that area. check out some other boats and see how they come from the factory if you can.

PR1986

Reaction score
Model
Express 360
Thanks a lot for the fast replies. Yes, when the engines were installed they decided to paint the whole boat and I was told that the small aluminum L-shape plate was just purely aesthetic and that the new ones didn’t even have them. Also, the plastic part on the corner was broken and looked old, and I was also told by the yamaha people that they were also not needed. My concern is that the engines just got installed, we have even done the sea trial yet, and cracks are already appearing. The place where everything was done said that they will just repair that area but that it wasn't structural damage to the transom, which is my main concern. Fyi, I am just getting into boats and this would be my first boat, so any and all info would help.

bFransen

Reaction score
On the bright side, if it's filler that's cracking, you probably don't have structural issues. There will need to be some fixing of the transom. Some paints can be repaired easier than others. Awlgrip, for example, is a real pain to repair and you can usually tell where a repair was made. All the shine is in the top layer of awlgrip and if you sand or buff it will not look the same. Other paints can be faired easier.

On the down side, it sucks to have had so much work done and they clearly didn't do the job right. Hope they can straighten it out quickly for you.

bac0701

Reaction score
looks like fairing compound that cracked but what do i know. on a side note theres an open screw hole on the top of one of your pics you need to seal up