transom deck scuppers

kevgle

Reaction score
hello,I need to replace transom deck scuppers.Anyone ever do this?How the heck do you access the starboard side they are under the battery tray,Also, I contacted Grady cust.service and the replacement part they recommend is stainless steel from atwood {which you are not supposed to use stainless below water line}Thanks for any help I can get

seasick

Reaction score
The scuppers are not supposed to be below the water line. So if yours are, either you repowered with heavier motors or your hull is heavier than original and that may be due a wet hull, too much gear, a lot of bottom paint etc.

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
It would be helpful to know the year, model, ect. My scuppers are readily accessible in my Explorer. But agreed with above, they should be above the water line.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Can you clarify? The "transom" is the part the motor is mounted to. The "deck" is what you walk on. I'm not sure if you're talking about the deck drains or the actual scuppers at the transom. As mentioned, typical scuppers are super easy to replace. The deck drains can be harder, depending on the boat. Look for removable things (deck panels, etc) and/or you may have to drill a hole and add an access plate.

Also as noted, nothing of this system should be below the waterline. In that case, you can only use bronze or Marelon.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
The scuppers are not supposed to be below the water line. So if yours are, either you repowered with heavier motors or your hull is heavier than original and that may be due a wet hull, too much gear, a lot of bottom paint etc.
there are some models that just tend to sit low in the rear even if dry and not fully loaded. the Chase sits low in the rear, many with the through hulls at or even below the water line

kevgle

Reaction score
there are some models that just tend to sit low in the rear even if dry and not fully loaded. the Chase sits low in the rear, many with the through hulls at or even below the water line
Thanks for all the responses.Boat is 2000 265 express.The scuppers i'm talking about are on the back of the boat and are what the deck drains through.I need to replace starboard side.See picture they sit below the waterline and same boat in marina has same setup.Thanks

Attachments

• 20220408_133031.jpg
    20220408_133031.jpg
    381.2 KB · Views: 116

seasick

Reaction score
It looks like the left scupper in your picture is the motor well drain (assuming you have a motor well. Those are usually plastic like Marelon. If the tube that runs through the transom is OK, it is easy and cheap to replace the outside fitting.
The right fitting is probably the scupper for the deck drain. That would be a fitting with a big nut on the inside connected to a hose that connects to the deck drain fitting. Your current fitting is chromed bronze, not stainless. You can replace with a new chromed bronze or a plain bronze scupper. It should not be stainless.

What engines does your boat have?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Dang, those are pretty gnarly looking. In the next couple of weeks I plan on buying a couple of these scuppers and installing them on my boat, and will see how I like them. I'm looking at the SW1047 and like them because they're metal and are stainless steel instead of just using cheap plastic scuppers with the rubber flappers. Not exactly cheap at $40 a piece, but if they keep the water out, the boat dry and last 3-5+ years then I'll be more than happy.

seasick

Reaction score
Again, I have to say that if the fitting will be under salt water, it should not be stainless...

kevgle

Reaction score
It looks like the left scupper in your picture is the motor well drain (assuming you have a motor well. Those are usually plastic like Marelon. If the tube that runs through the transom is OK, it is easy and cheap to replace the outside fitting.
The right fitting is probably the scupper for the deck drain. That would be a fitting with a big nut on the inside connected to a hose that connects to the deck drain fitting. Your current fitting is chromed bronze, not stainless. You can replace with a new chromed bronze or a plain bronze scupper. It should not be stainless.

What engines does your boat have?
original motors yamaha 200 sx 2 stroke hpdi runs like a tank i am in new jersey and have been to the canyons many times(with full tanks) glad I discovered this scupper issue on land.I am going to cutout the battery tray for access if anyone has any better ideas look forward to any suggestions.thanks looks like I am going to miss the striper run this season also both scuppers go to deck drain

seasick

Reaction score
Kevgle, from that picture, I don't see any reason to repalce the hull fitting. It looks perfectly fine.
I kind of agree based on the picture. Some of the chrome has flaked off and that is pretty common especially if bottom paint gets on it. As long as the bronze underneath looks goldish and not yellow, it should be fine.
Also I mentioned that the left fitting is a plastic piece that just screws to the transom similar to this style ( you need to get the correct size)

seasick

Reaction score
They are below waterline, should consider move them up. My 2003 265 w/F225 & scuppers are well above waterline. One sits behind the straps.
Note that depending on the height of the deck drains and the coresponding plumbing, you may noy be able to just raise the scupper holes.
That is mostly above the water line and should be OK, If you want to worry about something, I would worry about that crack in the transom and the water staining off of the corner of the motor well.

Reactions: vocz

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Bronze is a much more durable metal. SS will corrode underwater.
I guess if someone is riding low in the stern and they're really that concerned then they can get some of these bronze thru hull scuppers, but they've still got the cheap rubber flapper on the inside. Which I'm not a big fan of the idea of the cheap rubber flapper at all and that's why I was looking at something like the Seaworthy Innovations stainless steel scuppers that I listed above. I've also only had my boat in the water twice since buying her back in October, so I'm not exactly sure where she sits at with regards to the waterline. I figure with my boat only being in the water from late June to late September and then being out of the water the rest of the year that the Seaworthy Innovations stainless steel scuppers would have to last at least a couple of seasons?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I honestly don't know how well the SS would fair (or not fair). It's probably not (well, definitely not) something I would personally take a chance on. SS is also not "officially" approved for below the waterline. It's pretty well known in the marine industry that it's a no-go for SS. I don't know the answer, but if the boat sank due to a failed fitting... would the insurance company deny coverage due to installation of an unapproved item?

There's nothing really "wrong" with rubber flappers - they do the job - you just have to change them when they get old and stiff.

Reactions: Zman and igblack87

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Thanks for all the responses.Boat is 2000 265 express.The scuppers i'm talking about are on the back of the boat and are what the deck drains through.I need to replace starboard side.See picture they sit below the waterline and same boat in marina has same setup.Thanks
See this thread. 265 express scupper replacement https://www.greatgrady.com/threads/deck-drain-scupper-surprise.28979/

I did not raise them. If you have the time, consider raising them.
Grady raised them on the 265 in 2003 (maybe 02?) when they flattened the deadrise to accomodate 4 strokes.

SS..below waterline...blah blah blah... My SS trim tabs are 22 years old, held in with SS screws. I used SS. They are at the water line. they sit low when two full tanks.

SS is a lot cheaper than chrome over bronze.

The rubber flaps work. Proof is that my brother left one off last year because the screw was stripped. He said "They don't do much" All year that one scupper farted a dribble of water.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryhlick

Fishtales

Reaction score
never have seen the plastic and bronze used together. maybe one was swapped out before? prob have to cut a hole in the inside of the boat and put a deck plate in for access. you prob have to change the hoses as well.